Monday, February 8, 2010

Prohibition

Where da fuck is this place? Oh, shit... It's in bloody fucking Buckhead. Just my God damn luck they put a "speakeasy" in yuppieville. But I had to see what the fuss was all about.

When I heard you had to go through a phone booth, I was like "Speakeasy, pweez!"... Could you copy PDT in NYC anymore? Well, they don't have the delicious Crif's Hot Dogs out front though... HA, so there! Suckaz.

The big ass red phone booth in front isn't obvious... And the sounds from the flock of seagulls behind the frosted glass door right next to the giant red phone booth isn't a tip off either. Duh. Then some dude mysteriously appears like Lurch and teaches me how to dial the 9 digits into the office type phone (prolly got it from some hobo on the street for $5) and push the phone booth wall to enter. Wow... How cool is that, Spanky? Whoopdeedoodie, been there, done that. Snooze.

Anyhoo, the joint is pretty small overall but it's just big enough and it's pretty cool inside (minimal)... For Buckhead. No one goes to a speakeasy for the decor, you go for the creative cocktails... Which wasn't half bad. I had the "My Way", "Pisco Sour", "Penicillin" with Lagavulin scotch, some fruity ass drink with a pineapple and a sample taste of Ardbeg Islay scotch whiskey. The smokiness of the scotch whiskeys were amazing. Good stuff.

The smoke from the cigars and cigarettes were pretty intense... I was like a dying canary in the coal mines. I can't bweathe, someone open a window or a bathroom door. These guidette skanks next to me looked like chimneys, one of them almost lit it's hair on fire with all that jizz (aka product) in it's hair. Pweez get some Smoke Eaters in there, STAT... Or prohibit smoking until you do. I can't even taste my "Carefully Compounded Prescription" for crying out loud, barkeep.

The "mixologists" are a happy bunch, seemed like they actually want to be there and interested in coming up with some wacky cocktails. +1. They are friendly and overall pretty swell guys. +2. Being a good mixologist is a difficult thing and they pulled it off even if they didn't know all the drinks on the menu. +3.

Only time will tell if this will be a boom or bust... But for now, I like what I see and taste... The smell, not so much. I felt like I just came out of an oven at Antico.

Puff.

Puff.

*Cough*

56 E Andrews Dr NW
Atlanta, GA 30305

No comments: