Monday, February 8, 2010

Bamboo Grill & Hot Pot Restaurant

Pho Pasteur was put out to pasture as fast as raw milk from a heifer's teet... Even with a FOB loaded staff, the vittles there were just passable. So Ba even laughs at them.

This strip mall is Buford Hwy's version of District 9... Because no one wants to be here. What got me interested was the "Lau" aka hot pot ripped off from the Chinos. I spied around the room looking for a specimen. The lady owner with a halfway decent rack for an Asian broad went to the table behind me to hob-nob with her peeps. She spoke via "clicks and clacks" (just like Prawns in D9!) and a moment later the "Lau" appeared... It looked aight, smelled a little funky. Mebbe, it was me since I didn't shower. Funk on funk ain't good, I figured 2 wongs doesn't make it white...

So, I decided to try other things on the menu which looked pretty interesting... But what comes out can be another story. The steak grill special was out so I settled for this stuff...

Fwied Eggrolls - I'm always a sucker for these stupid ass things. It must be that oral fixation gig I have. Nice and crispy but the innards were offal... But I still swallowed.

Cream of Leek and Shrimp Soup - Oui, oui... It sounds so Fwench! But what came out looked like if came from a trench. It was green alright and way too watery with no signs of shrimp. I think i know why, they don't eat their young.

Fwied Wings w/ Garlic and Onions - They were good but tasted almost exactly the same way I make it at home. They were more wok fried than actually deep fried.

Rice Paper Rolls Combo - Mebbe Goi Cuon? Ah, fuck it, I'll just call it the Click Clack Combo... Chicken, beef, pork and shrimp (oh no, could be your cousins!). The meat was kinda dried out and rubbery. The veggie/noodle fillers were your standard garden variety. But the sauce that came with it.... Jesus, it looked and smelled like a Leper's culo. I summoned the courage from my one ball and tasted it... One word: Taint.

I wanna like this place, the prawns are nice, it's clean, decent service and the grub was aight... But they shafted me on that click clack roadkill combo for 28 bones. TF (the fuck)? Bustin' my wallet like it was my phantom ball.

2.5 Stars.

Cock.

Punched.

Splat.

4646 Buford Highway NW
Atlanta, GA 30341
(678) 580-1727

1 comment:

Kate said...

I visited Bamboo on the 17 of February, 2010, the day that it was Grand Opening. I tried the hot pot and the Grill combos and it was delicious.