Monday, February 8, 2010

Aurum Lounge

You would think walking into this joint was like the Bocuse d'Or or some shit... But it was more like the Douche d'Or. I kid, I kid... Exception of a few Ed Hardy douchebaggery clown suits, the place is not too shabby. I liked that it was on the ground floor and on a side street... I can't deal with hotel clubs/lounges that you have to valet and take a fucking elevator to. Hate to break it to you... Roof top bars are so 2.5 hours ago.

Anyhoo, back this hole... You guessed it, the theme is gold. Trendy? Yes. Fad? Yes. But does it mean it's for guidos because they love gold chains and pink tank tops? No, not exactly. The crowd was like the Buckhead army that finally grew up. Kinda like the tool next to me at the bar telling his date that they have a great menu. This culinarian doesn't know the difference between Hamas and the Hummus he just ordered. She looked upon him with the gaze of a small rodent. I can only imagine what's going on inside that tiny little head of hers... Going in circles like the gerbil that could on that wheel. I turned him off when I heard the words "Wow, look at all that pita!" ...I pity that fool.

The bartenders were actually pretty nice and noticed that you are there. I have been in the industry way too long and bad service is standard in joints like these. So, it was a nice surprise that they introduced themselves even... +1. I asked if they could make a Moscow Mule. Their answer was yes, but they only have Gosling's ginger beer (at least they have it right?)... +2. The drinks were ok. Price point was average. No cover (not yet) and no smoking... +3.

The liberal use of gold paint on the lamps and furniture with the "drip" effect was borderline gaudy... Kinda like that skank muff grinding the couch. Someone didn't shave properly. I don't know about you but the last thing I want to get is "The Drip" from that stank. Overall, it's a nice addition to the midtown lounge scene... How long will it last? Who knows. But I will definitely hit it up from time to time... Depending on the DJ and what kinda crowd they bring in.

Scratch.

And.

Sniff.

108 8th St
Atlanta, GA 30309
(404) 815-9426

No comments: