Monday, February 8, 2010

Bocado

Stop the madness already! WTF is up wit all da shills in this piece? These orange heads and their single 5 star "review" is almost as pathetic as that website "Hot Chicks with Douchebags"...

New joints are popping up everywhere on the Westside like pubes on a 13 year old. Quantity doesn't = Quality. Although, it's nice to see this area growing because I like this side of town. Bocado is the latest newcomer. Nice clean space, good size bar and why the fuck is the silverware on a table in the middle of the room, what a waste of space. After 3 weeks, I had to take a looksie and see what the fuss was about.

Risotto, saffron, scallions, parmesan, braised veal cheek - Let's just say the cheek was nice and tender, a bit bland but the "risotto" reminded me of one of those yellow plastic bags of "saffron" rice at the market. Wet and mushy and nothing like risotto. Jesus, how long has this thing be sitting around to absorb so much moisture...

Chicken liver spread, sea salt, toast - For $7, one would think you would get more than a measly slice of bwead cut in half and spread so thinly a mixture that doubles for Alpo. For $7, I want Fancy Feast at least! Garcon!

Bocado burger stack, American cheese, house-made pickles, fries - Ok, I have to disagree with my pal, Jen Z. aka BG, on this thing. While it was tasty, I wouldn't say this burger was "THAT GOOD". If you compared it to a BOCA Burger, yeah, I would say it's "THAT GOOD". What bugged the shit outta me was that they asked me for a temp, so I said med-rare and it came out fully cooked. Had I known this thing was trying to be a clone of the H&F burga... Asking for a temp was not necessary. Just sayin' they need better training on the menu, it's not like this menu is the size of War & Peace. I think there's a consistency issue here because my double "patty" was falling apart but the cheese helped keep it together. The homemade pickles were good kinda like bread n butter pickles. The fries, while hand cut, needed to be way more crispier. These puds were limp as a 60 year old man. I would order this again and see if it's any better.

I spied the Crab Fritters a couple seats down and it looked like 3 fish sticks laying helpless and flavorless on a plate. For $14, I coulda got 4 boxes of fish sticks from my local grocer... Because I trust the Gorton's Fisherman.

The staff was friendly but they weren't the quickest or the most well versed in the operations. They mean well but don't try to question me on what I ordered and stop pushing that damn chicken thigh in my face. I like sitting at the bar to eat which means I like to drink... So, please stop making detours and servicing other patrons on your way down to make my drink. Nothing gets between me and my Mules. Nothin'.

Hee Haw.

887 Howell Mill Rd
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 815-1399

No comments: