Thursday, September 17, 2009

Waterhaven Restaurant

Out from the ashes of the old Globe space comes this new eatery/lounge. I can't really figure it out... The Globe was hip, cool and had a great industry scene which eventually succumbed to the economy but WaterHaven (are we near water?) feels like a pop up book. An OTP vibe in an ITP location, you just don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling, more like the lobby of an office building.

Anyone thinking of opening a resto in this economy either has brass balls, a trust fund or a flux capacitor to see the future... I didn't see a DeLorean parked out front. I soon found out that they did 30 covers on opening night and less than that on Saturday night. Hmmm...

Don't get me wrong, I like the space, it's clean... But the menu was boring as shit. Look, you got a good space, shouldn't you have an advant-garde menu as well? It is midtown after all. I can get hummus, flatbwead and calamari at Crapplebeez. I swear, I stared at that menu for 15 minutes looking to generate some saliva, some craving... And that usually doesn't take me long, I even had to put down the menu and hoped it was just a dweam when I picked it up again 5 minutes later. It wasn't. The staff were very friendly and tried to make things better. But that can only go so far.

Crabcake - Standard issue hockey puck, decent size crabmeat, not exactly "Jumbo lump". The cucumber salad that came with it was a mistake like a prego 13 yr old girl. It was passable in a Long John Silver's kinda way.

Lamb Pappardelle - Giant sheets of pasta, I think it was either full or queen size. Pasta wasn't bad but the lamb reminded me of Dinty Moore's beef stew. Veggie puree was MIA. I don't know about you but I eat with my eyes first and this looked like Alpo poured on a plate.

Mac n Cheez - I friggin love cheezy mac. This wasn't. Plain ole tiny elbow mac and a mix of yellow and orange cheez almost as dry as the bread crumbs on top. Flavorless and tiresome. Two bites and into the garbage.

I spied a bunch of "flyers" on car windshields outside, is it me or is that kinda tacky in a Chino-American take out joint kinda way? Oh well, I'm sure they know what they're doing... I hope they do a better lunch crowd than dinner.

2.5 stars- .5 star for Family Circle menu, 1 star for the friendly staff, 1 star for the space being opened again.

2 words: Revamp Menu.

ASAP.

75 Fifth St NW
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 214-6740

No comments: