Thursday, August 21, 2008

La Churreria

Good bakeries are hard to find, especially ethnic ones... luckily, this Colombian bakery provides Gastro a pouch full of goodies during that time of the month.

Inside this mostly Latin strip mall, La Churreria is small but filled with a large variety of breads, baked goods, desserts, arepas, empanadas, pasteles, tamales and so on... Man, half of the stuff I have never heard of but they all looked so delicious. Stay calm Gastro... control, control, control yourself. Put your hands in your pockets and don't make any sudden movements... go ahead and play some pocket pool while you drool.

Restraining myself from licking my lips sans Chapstick because they hurt real bad, I headed up to the front counter where all the hot little vittles are. I knew what I wanted from the get go... their golden fwied empanadas stuffed with meat and potatoes. I'll buy that for a dollar! Well, they are... so how can you just eat one? Being the ruminant that I am... I loaded my pouch with four of these mini Nerf footballs, one for each of my stomachs. Delish... Mooo!

Once I start, you can't stop me... plus, I was the only customer there so no one could hold me back. I spied these flaky triangle puffy goodness and asked what it was filled with. The chica said cheeken and beefee. I'll take both, gracias. These pastel de carne y pollo were so delicate and airy, they just flake apart on every bite. You know you just want to get into the middle before this thing falls apart like a house of cards. Both were wonderful. Yum... Cluck cluck!

Be like Gastro and venture to the Guadalajara Supermarket three doors down and get some top notch tacos made in house for a $1.50 each... this is the way to The Better Life! If you feel the need to explore more... check out Natarica for their gwilled chicken and ginormous sammies for pesos on the dollar.

Btw- They hardly speak Spanglish... pointing is key here, so if you don't have hands, you're shit outta luck pal.

Burp... x 4!!!

5730 Buford Hwy NE
Norcross, GA 30071
(678) 646-0421

No comments: