Thursday, August 21, 2008

Baraonda Italian Restaurant

I don't get by this cucina Italiana much these days because all the tourist donkeys around the Fox theater creates such a friggin traffic nightmare... but you won't find any kitchen nightmares at Baraonda.

I always thought the grub was good not great but my visit this weekend made me kick myself for not eating here more often. Where's Gordon Ramsay to call me a stupid donkey when I need him?

Calamari Fritti - Your standard issue fwied ring of tubes... but pales in comparison to Chinese style salt & pepper squid. Calamari rings always seem so pre-fab to me.

Carpaccio di Manzo - Tasty, light and refreshing with the arugula... but the quality of the cut could be better. Not a bad appetizer though.

Pizze - A killer woodfire oven that has been aged makes all the difference in the world. Their pizza is verra verra good with it's thin crust, sauce, cheese and foldability factor. I love my NYC style 'ZA's but this comes close. The char was spot on and gave it that hint of bitterness that is oh so important in a great 'ZA. No matter what you put on it, it comes out verra tastee... and quick like a true pizze should, no more than 2 1/2 minzies at that high temp.

Shrimp Risotto - Seems like it's a nightly special, so why not just put it on the menu? It's so darn tasty, I want that dish to be available on a regular basis. Tons of shwimpz, flavorful, seasoned well and not super creamy or as heavy as you might think. Since they charged me $1.90 for this risotto... I think they should keep it as a special. Oops, did I let the cat outta da bag? I'm such a douchebag.

Service was not bad at all... just a couple bumps here and there. This joint ain't a fake full of piss and wind. It's back on my radar. Totally worth it... value to quality. Run, don't walk you donkeys!

Hee Haw.

RUTTO!

710 Peachtree St NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 879-9962
www.baraondaatlanta.com

No comments: