Thursday, August 21, 2008

King & I

Who are they kidding? They should just rename it to the "Queen & I"...

This dark and dingy corner of Ansley is full of some colorful people... yeah, y'all know what I'm a saying, Taste the Rainbow! I can't believe there is a vet clinic in this dirty strip mall filled with rowdy bars... talk about animal trauma.

The joint's owner, "Tom", is like the third Czech Brother... he's a Wild and Crazy Guy! I don't know what this guy is on but I want some! It must be all that Thai chili powder he's been sniffing for 27 years here... cause he's bouncing off da walls! But what a sweet guy... very funny, soft and cuddly... kinda like a Monchhichi or Mogwai.

Ok B.D. Wong, enough of the theatrics, just bring me a Singha and something Thai Hot to gwub on pweez...

Spring Roll - The fried rice wrapper threw me off a little but after a couple bites, it grew on me... the filling of chicken bits, bean thread, veggies and crunch was not too shabby. Peanut sauce was eh.

Papaya Salad - Like a giddy little school girl, Tom, asks if I wanted it Thai Hot... ah, is there any other way? "Ok, I bwing you hot from like Thailand!" Y'all know what, it wasn't half bad, it actually made me sweat a drop or two... like in the jungles of upstate GA.

Pad Thai - Since this national Thai dish isn't really spicy, I only ask for it medium hot. I have yet to have a Pad Thai that blew me away but this wasn't bad either. The ingredients were fresh tasting and a squirt of the lime gave it that refreshing taste and smell to it. Decent filler.

Penang Duck (Thai Hot) - Aww, how cute... served in a brass pot on top of a little sterno stove. Only problem was, it kept cooking that damn duck. WTF? A little tea light woulda worked better. It looked like a witch's brew with that massive blue flame. Shit was bubbling and squirting curry juice into my eyeballs... that's one way to make me cry asking for Thai Hot. Once the flame went out, it wasn't bad at all... curry was rich and flavorful. It wasn't Thai Hot but it had decent heat to it. The duck a was bit chewy but I kinda figure it would sitting on that torch. Not a bad dish.

This is a funny joint in a funny place in a funny area... but I like it! It makes you kinda wanna hit Oscar's, Felix's and Burkhart's after getting all Thai Hot and bothered.

Haaay!

1510 Piedmont Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
(404) 892-7743

No comments: