Thursday, August 21, 2008

French American Brasserie

When I feel like a FOB, I go nosh somewhere on Buford Highway... But when I feel like a SNOB, I go grub downtown to FAB.

I hit this joint on that DT Resto Week shindig to see what all the fuss was about. Could French cuisine really exist in Atlanta, the land of chains, stwip malls and soccer moms? Here's the skinny... only if I was afterwards. Hmmmm...

First Course:
* Creamy Onion Soup - Not too oniony, nice flavor, Gastro's tummy likey.

* White Bean Soup with Truffle Oil - Just very pleasant, good consistency and purdy good tasting to this country mouse.

Second Course:
* Sauteed Skate Wing with Spinach, Roasted Potatoes, Pantellerian Capers and Brown Butter Sauce - It was prepared well, not salty like most have stated. It was moist and tender inside but yet had that little crispiness on the outside... ooh, take me under your wing anytime.

* 8 oz. Marinated Creekstone Skirt Steak, Organic Watercress, Garlic Frites, Bistro Butter - For a thin piece of meat, it was cooked well. Medium rare and tender. Seasoned a bit too salty but tasty still. Frites were crispy and hot... kinda like me poolside.

Third Course:
* Meyer Lemon Crepe, Pomegranate Syrup, Tapioca Pearls, Pine Nuts - It was alright, nothing to write the boys overseas about some tiny nuts on a thin pancake. But Ricky Bobby would prolly find them tasty.

* Apple Tart - Besides all the skanks in gaudy mini skirts upstairs on the patio, this tart wasn't half bad. It gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling those tramps never could.

After tasting a nice sampling of their vittles, I must say I would go back and try out the rest of the menu. It might not be true French in the vernacular sense but for Atlanta... it's not too shabby. At least the mini skirt mafia were clean shaven.

ROTER!

30 Ivan Allen Junior Blvd
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 266-1440
www.fabatlanta.com

No comments: