Thursday, August 21, 2008

Big Easy Grille

I have been here one other time to try the po'boys that I heard was good... but by the time I got there around 9pm, they said the kitchen was closed. WTF? It's 9 friggin PM, did I get bamboozled? Now I know how those two chodes at The Tavern at Phipps feel. I'm calling Ken Nugent... one call, that's all. I need a big pay day as well.

Big Easy is right... because the service was at ease. The server had the personality of a billy goat. Some items on the menu had the flavor of saw dust. The entire joint moved at a snail's pace with all your typical townies swilling their problems and welfare checks away at the bar instead of buying a pacifier to shut up their baby's piehole.

Po'boy - Combo of half oysters and shrimp was not too shabby, medium sized and crispy. The bwead wasn't bad at all, just a tad too big for a proper po-po. The filler was just about right... on the light side.

Jambalaya- When did jambalaya become just overcooked, dried up,sticky, clumpy rice with sausage and chicken bits in it? I think it was Kibbles 'n Bits. This thing had no trinity, no stock, no seasonings, no flava, no creole soul... an absolute abomination. I had better from a box.

Gumbo- This was the total opposite of the jambalaya... it was wetter than a baby's diaper that had one too many bottles of apple juice. It woulda helped if they added some jambalaya as a thickener. No roux, no file powder, no trinity, bits of mystery meat pieces and a few okra floating around. Sad, so sad that this recipe didn't get swept away with Katrina.

Oysters on the half- How could it be warm if it's sitting on ice? These things have been pre-shucked and lost all the briny juices and flavors. These pearl tongues barely passed inspection. The cocktail sauce was straight from a FMV ketchup bottle... terrible, just terrible.

Stick with the po'boys if you really have a hankering for them but everything else is for-gutta-ble. Adding an "E" at the end of Grill doesn't make the grub taste any better. I suggest you buy another Chefe.... "john s."

My levee just bwoke.

Squirt.

1193 Collier Rd NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 352-2777

No comments: