Thursday, September 17, 2009

Valenza Italian Restaurant

Being in college and making $12/hour doesn't leave this co-ed collegiate athlete much cash flow for a healthy dinner since most of it goes to Natty Lite, Ramen noodles, tampons and weed... Sometimes, I splurge and get Kroger's box mac n cheez (3 for $1). But Yelp Eats came to the rescue and bail me out of my slump of fwendless moppishness.

I came here with friends (Or were they??? Since I spend so much time on Yelp) after watching a 24 hour Star Trek marathon on Sci-Fi. I had to drive my beater all the way out here because I'm redoing my transporter room. I just hate having close encounters with Klingons... Except during Dragoncon. What a bummer. But when I got here... I was like WOW! This area would be great for LARP... But only after I fill my pouch.

Now, lookie here what Leeeeeeroy Jenkins had...

Calamari - Tasty sliced tubesteaks of baby Humboldt squid even though they were poached off and then lightly grilled. Very tender, seasoned and matched well with the tomatoes. Missing pine nuts though, I love those tiny nuts... Who doesn't?

Carpaccio - Not bad at all given that it was pre-sliced and plated, nice presentation and good flavors... That you can actually taste. They didn't drown that meat curtain in truffle oil like at some other places. This dish was so pretty, it belongs in midtown... Haaaaay!

Brick pressed grilled chicken - Why did the chicken cross the road? So, I can eat it. This bird was spot on, juicy, nice char and flavorful. Tuscan taters were oh so crispy and moistly tender inside, they were just plain friggin good. Salsa verde paired well with the charred yardbird, nice balance... I just might have to put some of it on my Popeyes next time! Oh dear, I think I just soiled my pants.

Pappardelle - What looked like a ginormous meat tumor on a plate turned out to be the best dish. Pasta had the perfect size, shape, thickness, volume and bite... Kinda like the chicks I date. The Bolognese was just right in consistency with meat and yumminess, draped over the pasta like a beautiful weave... Not like some half ass canned beefstew spewed on some chincy egg noodles you find at the bottom of a toilet at another Eyetalian joint. This is one of the best pappardelle in town.

Blueberry Tart and Vanilla/ Lemon Panna Cotta - Even though I can careless about these things people call desserts, they were a nice change of pace... They were well made and just the right amount, enough to have a savory taste but not enough to give you a muffin top. Not too shabby.

Who woulda thunk it? A pretty damn good Italian resto in Brookhaven that half of the people living in that area don't deserve. Mebbe they will open a healthy green burger joint here one day for all the collegiate athletes who gets laid a lot... But it will prolly be "a little pricey" though. *Sigh*

Have you seen my baseball, Jerry?

Burp.

1441 Dresden Dr
Ste 100

Atlanta, GA 30319
(404) 969-3233

No comments: