Thursday, September 17, 2009

Toulouse

I ate here many moons ago... Unfortunately, it was rather unmemorable. I filed it way back in my noggin, hoping it would drain out of my ears along with the excess fluid in my brain from beating my skull in.

Fast forward years later to some Yelp Wine Event, once again, nothing really worth reporting. A few scraps of vittles tossed around here and there. At least there was wine to help with the lobotomy.

Since the Yelp Eats menu were dishes off the regular menu, why not give it another shot? I shoulda shot my foot instead. If it wasn't for the company, this would have been a lot worse. They say laughter heals all ulcers or something like that... Because what came before me made me laugh to my pouch. It's no wonder why I haven't been back since... Steve Penley works aside, It was just so fucking dreary in here. Did someone die in here? The place was like a funeral home.

The service was sporadic and the food uninspiring... I guess they need more time to work out the kinks, everything was 'too loose'. Staring at an empty glass for 5+ minutes and no server in sight in a basically empty room was pure madness... I might as well be in a padded room. I counted 1 host, 1 server, 1 'manager', no cook... Wait, Frodo mysteriously appeared later on like a animal let out of his cage. What is he, the gimp?

The French inspired menu looked great on paper but when the 'chef' walked out into the kitchen... He looked like he just crossed the border last week. The food is passable... Especially from a kitchen that looks like that. Cruddy ceiling tiles above it seems like it's spawning more yeast than their bread. Your best bet is to order a few apps and drink... And drink heavily at that.

Strawberry Soup- Oh lord. Smoothie anyone? Why they put that in a beer mug, you got me Pepe Le Pew.

Goat Cheez in Phyllo- Ever heard of a eggwash? Mebbe they ran outta eggs. Shit, use butter cooking spray... That phyllo looked like a twisted up tissue and tasted like raw flour. Big hunk of goat cheez was just too overwhelming. Along with super salty tapenade and crunchy poached apples. Too many flavas all at once.

Seared Scallops- Pretty good, decent size and cooked properly. Rosemary-Citrus reduction was weak, broccoli was outta place and fingerling taters looked like they were giving you the bird.

Buffalo Meatloaf- Slice of meat so soft it looked it was made of sawdust, roasted tomatoes cut in half and sitting on top like a pair of yamika, mix of indistinguishable mushrooms, salty veal jus, and rosemary mash taters with no rosemary in sight. Passable but no heart.

Flourless Chocolate Cake- Flat piece of chocolate so rich that 2 bites is more than enough to cover your teeth in fudge. I guess this is what they mean by shit eating grin.

Apple Turnover, Caramel Sauce, Cinnamon Ice Cream- Brought me back to my childhood at McDonalds with their apple pies. They're two for a dollar now! What a bargain!

Overall, this resto could be so much better but somehow it feels like they have lost that passion. Service, food and atmosphere just barely gets by... It's not bad and it's not great. It is what it is.

1 star for the food. 2 stars for the Steve Penley works.

Comme ci, comme ça

2293 Peachtree Road NE
Suite B

Atlanta, GA 30309
(404) 351-9533

No comments: