Thursday, September 17, 2009

Max's Coal Oven Pizzeria

God damn it... I hate giving Concentrics restos this much credit. Their concepts are so pedestrian and touristy aka hip and trendy. All dressed up and nothing to eat. It's 2009 not 1989, Tubbs and Crockett are fat has-beens for crying out loud. Go back to your roots and stop covering your gray strings with highlights and bleach... Start making edible food again.

But I have to give credit where credit is due... To their lowest and modest form. A fucking pizzeria. And my first impression was a surprise. Who woulda thunk it? I know what y'all are thinking... Didn't they do this before with Piebar? Yes, they did... But Piebar took a big Cleveland Steamer on themselves because they tried to be Oh So Cool and Look At Me sorta shit. Hey, dickweed, it's fucking 'ZA... Don't put foie gras, lavender, quail eggs, frog legs, ribs, lamb shank, pizzle or any other ritzy shit on it like that tool, Wolfgang Puck does. What da fuck do Austrians know about pizza anyways? This place looks like a pizzeria at least.

Anyhoo, back on topic... No problem getting seated (mebbe bc it was empty?) but getting serviced afterwards... Let's just say I can get serviced faster on Boulevard. I even did a song and dance to wave down someone. There were a handful of staff just running around pretending to be "busy". Server, pleaze... You can't fool me, you're clueless and scared like a little baby, I can smell it on your sweaty belly roll. Just take my friggin drink order, at least I can booze while I laugh at you monkeys. But I give props to my server, he was a pretty cool dude.

Margherita 'Za - Great char from the coal oven, dough a little crispier than I would have liked but totally passable. Sauce was scarce and kinda lost within the layer of cheese. Cheese was a mixture of shredded and fresh sliced mozzarella. But in the end it basically all melted together. Their reasoning was that the middle got too soggy if they have just used sliced mozza. Well, at least JV can't say it tastes like cardboard. It folded nice and the right amount of grease drip. The only thing that kinda bothered me, was the chunks of Roma tomatoes that weighed the slices down and made them kinda floppy. I don't like floppy pies, like chicks don't like floppy dicks. But overall, the 'ZA has promise, a lot of promise... And this was only their 4th day of opening.

Coal Oven Lemon Pepper Parmesan Wings - Git your filthy hands off my wingz, bitch! Seriously, even though there's only one fucking flavor (have you ever heard of such nonsense?), that shit is pretty damn tasty... Best wings I have ever had? No, but that shit is G O O D. Wings are medium to small, crispy and moist and flavorful without it being too salty from that pre-mixed lemon pepper crap, but they tone it down with parmesan, garlic and herbs. I called it the semi-homemade Sandra Lee special mix... Speaking of special mix, I got some for that skanky Cougar. Grrrrrr.

The rest of the menu looks decent and next time it will be the calzone and a hoagie. Ok, mebbe the wings and a different pie also. Be forewarned, that shit ain't cheap... $11 for wings and $18 for a 14" pie. But it's worth it... That coal oven kicks ass and makes you rock out with your cock out. They also validate your parking. The only really cheesy shit is their shirts saying something like "We're right next door to STATS"... Ah, really? I wouldn't be associating myself with that shit stain. Do you want business or not? Change the shirts, pal.

3.5 Stars

Burp.

300 Marietta St NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
(404) 974-2941

No comments: