Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Top Chef Kitchen

I know one Top Chef that won't be eating here... Everybody knows that Asian food is not comforting at all, neither are these Asian plastic chairs here. Plus, the food is too fishy and smells like bad pussy... cat.

I love food shacks in Asian markets... These rickshaw huts are the closest thing to street food we got in Atlanta. Cheap, tasty and fast all under one roof. Since, I was inside this new-fangled Chinese owned and operated Great Wall market... I figured the Chinese grub must be good here. With the title of Top Chef, you better know how to cook Asian food. Walked up, ordered a couple classic dishes and was given a blinking light thingy... WTF. Flashbacks of Longhorns. Almost fainted. Someone open a window.

Ja Jiang Mein - I friggin' lurv this dish but Top Chief's cooking here was only passable at best. Sauce was way too sweet, no black beans, too many chunks (not julienne) of cucumber, ground up mystery meatfu, noodle was gummy and processed tasting (c'mon, you're in a friggin Asian market with varieties of noodles up to your ass). If you let it sit around for awhile, the brown stuff settles to the bottom and there is a shitload of oil on top. Fuck me, talk about a lube job. No wonder it all came out so smoothly.

Szechuan Beef Stew - Came with the same friggin' noodles as with the Ja Jiang Mein. Sichuan my ass, shit was all oil and no peppercorns or chili peppers. My grandma's sex life is spicier than this thing. A few stringy pieces of beef, pizzle and a village load of bitter greens. I've seen better beef stew scooped outta the Gulf. Fuck, that meat mighta been Pelican't.

Oh, the pickled cucumbers were tasty, though.

Since, they are relatively new and other known Yelpies said what they had was better than water boarding... I will most likely come back and explore some other items on the menu.

2.5 Stars for now.

Drip.

2300 Pleasant Hill Rd
Duluth, GA 30096
(678) 638-2988

No comments: