Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Steinbeck's

Tell me about the rabbits, George... Because this menu is absurd. I've heard of an Irish Breakfast, English and Continental, too, but WTF is a Chinese Breakfast and do I really want Slim in the kitchen cooking Chinese food in a pub?

When it first opened, it seemed really cool to have a tiny new edition to the other joints in Oakhurst. But it slowly tapered down to a study in moppishness. It is depressing in here but the staff is pretty friendly and nice. The only thing that saves this place is the booze menu, decent selection of beers and you got all your greatest liquor hits. But the food menu... I have no words to describe it except sloppy like Curley's wife. And it ain't cheap like her either, Crooks.

Truffled Mac & Cheese - Shells Whit a way too creamy sauce that tasted NASA approved. Masking it with a squirt of truffle oil ain't gonna fool anybody... Like me putting on lipstick, doing a tucky and asking you to F me. You wouldn't be able to tell if I had a Mac in my pants or Cheese up my skirt... This bowl of spooge was scandalous.

Long Beans - Who cooked these things, Long Duck Dong? Why is there another Chinese dish in this pub? It was actually kinda tasty but it was so outta place. I heard they're putting Kitfo and Injera on the menu. Yum. I meant Dum.

Brisket Tacos - Fuck no. Flour tortillas straight from the bag. Not even grilled or toasted, shit, nuke the thing at least for Christ's sake. The surprise inside was even more preposterous. It was like a wet sock. Pissing outta the sides like a mangy mutt getting beaten down... Prolly for the meat inside the tacos. Look, I can understand you want to submerge it a broth or jus to keep that dry ass meat from turning into a shit log in this summer heat but dude, at least wring it out before you stuff it in that flour clam. Nothing worse than a case of the pink taco drip.

Who knows, mebbe I ordered the wrong things at the wrong time at the wrong place... Mebbe not. I did spy the smoked chicken wings and they looked aight. But I couldn't decipher what that slop on the other plates were.

This place is good for a drink or two but anything more than that in this cramped space... You might as well ask for a bullet to the back of the head. Isn't that right Lennie?

I gotta go home and stroke my rabbit.

Bang.

2 Stars.

659 E Lake Dr
Ste B

Decatur, GA 30030
(404) 373-1116

No comments: