Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baby Tommy's Taste of New York


Opens at 11AM, walked in before noon... And WHAM! I get pie all over my face. When I see about a dozen different pies showing off their trim behind glass... One word comes to mind - Red Light District. I was baffled with all the pies laid out like some greasy glutenous orgy.

I can understand if they were there for display purposes but this ain't Sbarro. There is no way all those pies were freshly made unless they came in at 7AM to prep. Put my order in for a couple of coagulated slices and a hot sammie... Then what appears to be the owner comes in with a Pampers size bag of shredded cheese and a cryovac bag of bloody red sauce... Mebbe someone needed a transfusion. That someone might be me... If he doesn't get that shit out of my sight.

No frills decor but it's clean with that new car smell. Self serve soda fountain, plastic-ware and your generic spices and herbs... But not a garbage can in sight. C'mon, dude, I need something to hide the evidence if it turns out inedible.

Plain Slice - Nothing like a reheated slice. Lil bit of char. Crust was passable. Chewy cheese. Sauce a lil on the sweet side. This slice of trim was acceptable. A fresh made whole pie would prolly taste a lot better and less fishy I bet.

Sausage, Peppers and Onions Sandwich - Let's just say the sausage was Bobbitised, it wasn't whole... It was sliced wiener. Didn't ask for cheese but got it anyways. This guido gyro was oozing with white goo. It was alright. Came with dusty old chips and a Kosher cut dill. L'Chaim.

BBQ Chicken Slice - i know whatcha thinkin'... Why am I ordering this cracker 'Za? I didn't, my fwend did. The chicken was breaded. When the hell is BBQ chicken breaded? This thing would be better off if it was bearded, instead. Remember, the best way to eat a bearded chick is with one leg behind each ear. I think I just dropped sauce.

This joint is fine to grab a quick bite... Nothing more, nothing less. It ain't NY-style, it's mass production for the mass pedestrian-style.

Yeah, yeah... I cheated on my girlfriend down the street with the Acunto (yeah, you heard me- aCunto) ovens... AGAIN. Hi, my name is Gastro and I have a pie addiction.

Carpet.

Muncher.

2.5 Stars.

365 14th ST NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 874-4445

No comments: