Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Sichuan House

Having a Pet store next door to a Chinese resto has gotta be a bad sign. Why are the servers and owners giggling every time I take a bite of the grub? They must be just pleased that someone asked for super spicy in the mystery meat dishes. Wait a minzie, is that a trap door that opens next door? Then the server breaks my concentration and blocks my view... always getting C-Blocked.

I get excited when I see a Traditional and American menu at a Chinese joint. That little red chili symbol next to the dishes on the menu makes me giddy as a catholic school girl. With the recent demise of Frank Ma's and the musical chef's chair at Tasty China, Sichuan cuisine is hard to come by in Atlanta nowadays. So... Sichuan House is my last resort for a proper red chili pepper rogering.

Chengdu Chili Soup Wontons- Frozen wontons in chili oil. I had spicier canola oil.

Zhong's Chili Soup Dumplings- Bland dumps in chili oil. I had spicier motor oil.

Ma Po Tofu- This classic dish was absolutely dismal. They should call it Mop Up Poo Pu... it seemed like it was dropped into a janitor's dirty mop water bucket. Brown watery poo on a plate. Eh.

Spicy Stir Fry Beef Tripe- Beautiful pieces of tender tripe but not one sign of spiciness or flavor. How was this spicy? The sauce was whiter than the Vanilla Ice! I had to mix in the chili oil from the dumps to give it any bite whatsoever. This had the potential to be a great dish... but fell flat like a ruptured implant.

Hot and Sour Bean Noodle w/ Fei Chang- Finally a dish with some bite... not that it was mind blowing but it was tasty and looked more like a Sichuan dish. This gave me hope for the rest of the menu.

The only thing that was Hot and Numbing was the brain in my skull from this summer heat outside. But with limited options now in ATL for bowel splitting spicy grub... I'd go back with a handful of Gastro cronies for the dinner specials in the future.

Xie Xie. Burp.

5900 State Bridge Rd
Ste E
Duluth, GA 30097

No comments: