Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Midway Pub

My server asked me what I wanted. I told him I wanted a "Hummer". So he gave me one... and says to me, "it tastes so good when it hits your lips!" Aaah, Oook... cuckoo! cuckoo!

On that note.... let's take a look at the menu shall we?
I got a tingly feeling between my legs when I saw "Crabs". Then I started to salivate with the words "Beef on Weck". I almost popped my corn when I saw "Southern Fried Chicken".

I handed the menu to the server and said "Yes please"...
But seriously, I had to do a sampling like a good piglet should.

Soft Shell Crab Sammie w/ Tots- the crab tasted fine, just not coconut crusted and the jalapeno marmalade was way too sweet. A simple chipotle mayo would had done it more justice. The Tots were nice and crispy, just not seasoned. The best dish I tasted all night.

Beef on Weck w/ Asian Slaw- the slice meat was good, the roll was pathetic. Please don't call it a Weck if the roll does not have pretzel salt and caraway seeds. It was like a Chi-Dawg without a steamed poppy seed bun. The roast beef "Jus" was fresh from the can... and that's prolly were it should belong. Flush.
The Asian Slaw would be better suited if it was called Oriental Sraw... b/c this thing had ZERO taste. Just some shredded up old cabbage. I had Alfalfa with more flavor.

Southern Fwied Chicken- One word: Banquet.
This plate was straight from the Punchline. It made me laugh. One baby chix leg. One chix tender. Mash taters were a combination of instant mash and a baked tater chunked up. Collard Greens were dried up like a bay leaf... not cooked in delicious ham hocks or anything related to bacon, it definitely ain't the other white meat. The White Gravy... let's just say Dirk Diggler coulda made a better gravy.

I DO LIKE the place but it's too shiny and new for East Atlanta. It needs to be dirtied up with character... just something to make it seem like it belongs in da hood. The concrete slab out front is so friggin bright and clean, as well as the bricks of the building, kinda makes me think I was in a suburban strip mall. Where are we... Gymboree? We were the only ones on choppers! C'mon, is this what EAV has become?

I hope this place will evolve with the menu and rad ambiance we all know and love that is called East Atlanta.

Vroom Vroom! Bacon Salt!

552 Flat Shoals Ave
Atlanta, GA 30316
(404) 584-0335

No comments: