Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Livingston Restaurant + Bar

One word: Swank

In a city full of new hotels and restaurants that look like they came from a "build by number" cookie cutter book... It was about time Atlanta has gone retro. This joint is solid... Built on stone unlike all the other "fancy" hotels that are made up of particle boards and tumbleweeds. You can huff and puff all you want because this shit ain't coming down, Bubba.

The bar on the other side of the dinner room is glam. Great drinks, service is refined and a nice little bar menu to nibble from. Screw roof top bars, they are so 15 minutes ago... None of them ever works out. Give me a bar stool that I can stagger to from my dining chair within 10 feet and I'm all set.

The modern American menu is simple and spot on... And Gary Mennie executes it flawlessly. You don't need caviar, raw fish or liquid nitrogen to make a dish sound fancy. Just give me a piece of man meat that is cooked properly and I'm happier than a pig in shit. As you can see with this impressive list...

Crispy duck croquettes - blackberries, cilantro, sweet potatoes. This ain't no suffering succotash.

Softshell crab - ramps, tarragon, citrus dressing. This is one crab I don't have to make a run to CVS afterwards.

Spring pea soup - marcona almonds, mint, tangerine oil. Is this velvet? Velvety smooth and Velvet Jones approves.

Jerusalem artichoke soup - green apple, curry essence, crispy shallots. It's gotta be Velvet! I'm so Jonesing this soup.

Woodlands gardens chopped salad - shaved parmesan, frisee, walnut oil vinaigrette. I would go to the woods of OTP for this ruffage.

Georgia white shrimp - fava bean puree, ham hocks, pickled vidalia onions. One tail I love to chase... Down my throat.

Veal porterhouse - cauliflower gratin, vidalia onion marmalade. Porter, bring me a wheelchair.

Hanger steak & short rib duet - crystal farms rapini, crispy gnocchi, beet juice. Screw listening to Frank Sinatra and Stevie Wonder, I rather eat this duet.

Louisiana rabbit - speck ham, garlic chips, golden potato puree. Now I know why Elmer Fudd has been hunting Bugs all these years... You delicious wascally wabbit!

Atlantic halibut - red onion marmalade, sunchokes, brussel sprouts. I like Hali-Butts and I can not lie. You other flatfish can't deny.

Coconut financier - this is one investment you won't loose your shirt over... Well, mebbe you will have to loosen your shirt after this behemoth of a meal.

The Georgian Terrace is back. Kicking ass and taking names... Oh, and while you're at it put me down for a 4 top next week. This place is awesome and classy... Even for a guy like me with no class and all crass.

BURP!

659 Peachtree St. NE
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 897-5000
http://www.livingstonatlanta.com/restaurant.php

No comments: