Friday, October 30, 2015

Diabolical Pouch vs. Avellino's IL Diavolo

I have heard about the IL Diavolo 'Za at Avellino's before... I thought it was just another pizza with some hot peppers on it, so I never gave it much thought. Then I read something online recently that brought this creasture of the deep back up to the surface. They make you sign a fucking waiver before you can eat it... Come again? It sounds quite formidable. Shit, sounds like a challenge for the pouch. I have eaten many dishes at many places with many cuisines claiming to have the hottest this or that... Most have failed me. I have even resorted to making my own hot sauce with ghost peppers or whatever I can. Of course, there's shit out that is insanely hot, extracted capsaicin essence in concentrated form with upwards of 2.5 million scoville units. But this devil pizza is suppose to be filled with a mix of chili peppers in almost every part of the pie. Picking off the pepper rings will not do much to minimize the effect since the sauce and/or dough is made with the pepper mixture, there shall be no escape from it. This is getting me excited... I can feel some blood flow down in my nether region. I hope this spicy 'Za doesn't make my junk fall off... I wouldn't mind if my muffin top pannus fell off, though.

Waiver to eat the IL Diavolo... How silly. But I liked it.. It makes it sound so official and deadly.

IL Diavolo - "The hottest pizza known to man. Notify next of kin. (waiver required)." 
They are very proud of this demon that they conjured up from the realms of the underworld. I had at least 4 staff members shake their heads and said good luck to me... They were all white so I wasn't that concerned. So, there's a mix of habanero and scotch bonnet slices on top... Doesn't look too deadly at first glance. But what is that thick brown paste between the crust and cheese? It is the SAUCE... Made with a powder mixture of ghost, habanero, scotch bonnet, Carolina reaper and maybe a couple other high gravity chili peppers, I lost count when they were telling me. They put a shaker with the chili mix on my table to sample. It's pretty spicy from the sample I tasted on my finger. I'm starting to get an itch in my pants and it ain't from fleas, I got rid of them last week... It must be from either joy or fear. Shit, it's too late now to turn back, so fuck fear a la Sister Louisa style.
The temperature of the pie was pretty hot since it just came out of the oven, so you can smell the toxins of the peppers steaming up like a freshly laid turd. I grabbed a slice and ran through my game plan in my head to just eat it as fast as I can without chewing too much, so the chili peppers don't disperse throughout my oral cavity. The first bite/slice wasn't too bad. But you can feel the heat coming on in your mouth. I'm hoping it will peak quickly if the heat intensifies, so the other slices won't be as potent. Picked up the second slice... Now, I can feel the fuse was lit and the burn coming on steadily. I stopped for a quick break after that one and tried a slice of the Rustica pie we got as well. Picked up the third slice and I can smell the intensity. Folded it in half and proceeded to my piehole. I am starting to slow down with this slice because my bowels are beginning to churn up a nasty vat of witch's floppy titty brew. But I completed the third slice. Time for another break with another Rustica slice. Now, there's a couple of sweat beads forming and my eyeballs are tearing up a little. Water is your friend. They offered milk but I wasn't having any of it. I said, that I will eat at least half of the pie... It would be 6 slices including the 2 Rustica slices and half a Julius Caesar hero I had. I would prolly projectile vomit if I ate the entire beelzebub pie. The fourth slice was in my line of sight... I'm actually hesitant about eating it. But I did it quickly and down it went. 
Now, the shit is getting real inside my pouch... Eating it was one thing which wasn't as insanely spicy in the mouth as one would think, the real trick was keeping it down. That shit was festering in there... It was like the Battle at Gettysburg, the casualties were endless from this campaign. My bowels were like a scene from a war-ravaged land... I even thought about committing seppuku. I was dabbing sweat off my head and tears from my eyes... They should put on Old Yeller while you eat this because this is the only flick where a dude can legally cry to. But I think my man card was revoked after the second slice since I took a break to eat a Rustica slice to try to neutralize the heat. Did the chili pepper mix really make my junk fall off? Possibly because I was feeling no sensations down there like a 80 year old woman... I guess it coulda pulled a turtle and the head crawled back inside the sphincter. I didn't care at this point, I just wanted the burning to cease and desist... To halt this unlawful and unnatural activity inside my bowels. This pie on this night kicked my iron pouch's ass. Good job, guys... You did it and you will be well remembered for it.

Rustica - Fresh mozzarella, romano, pancetta. This was not spicy at all... Which was a nice change after the deadly IL Diavolo. I didn't really have a chance to look at the crust and quality of the demon pie because it was basically all chili peppers but according to this normal 'Za, it was actually quite decent. The fresh mozz melted nicely, the pancetta gave it that saltiness it needed and the crust had a nice bite and pull to it. It was very decent pie for a place like this. Remember, you can't judge these pies against a NY or Napoletana style, totally different creastures. I would totally come back here and try the other normal pies.

Julius Caesar - Salami, pepperoni, hot capicola, banana pepper, mozzarella, mustard, mayo, lettuce, tomato. Why am I even eating this... It's laden with cancerous processed meats. Shit, after eating that hellicious pie, I wouldn't even give a shit if this was full of menthol cigs, paper, filter and all. This was a pretty tasty hero. The bread was nice, had a nice crack to it and the filler were colorful and flavorful. What's not to like about this very decently made sando. I would be interested in the eggplant parm hero next time.

Side Salad with the hero. Standard salad with a very decent balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

Cannoli. Pretty decent display of cannolis and they tasted pretty good, too. It's no Varuni cannoli but for this local pizza joint it's totally acceptable.

The IL Diavolo challenge truly warrants a signed waiver... I ate half of the pie and I was in rare form which even surprised me. The pie is basically tasteless because of all the chili pepper mix that's infused in all aspects of the pie... The thick paste-like sauce is the main culprit to any bowel's demise. I will suck off and stroke the satchel of anyone who can eat the entire pie because that would be an impressive feat... But I will not be doing this challenge ever again. Ok, maybe if I was pissed drunk with Hannah Davis sucking me off. As for the other stuff sampled, it was totally decent and acceptable... And I would definitely come back to try the rest of the menu. Would this be my first go to 'Za? Prolly not but if I was in the hood, I would stop in for a quick bite. The staff here are really friendly and pretty cool... But I didn't stick around to chit chat because that Rosemary's baby inside was slicing through me like a ninja with dueling katanas. I raced back home like a crackhead chasing a chicken in an alley. My toilet almost imploded and I was sweating like Paula Deen under fire for racism. I drank a big glass of milk to tame the beast within... But what I should have drank was a big glass of shut the hell up before even thinking about taking on this challenge. The shit I do for my one reader... Pass the TP and matches. Splash.

902 W College Ave
Decatur, GA 30030 
404-228-3285
http://avellinospizzeria.com/

1 comment: