Wednesday, July 25, 2012

JAPADOG

St. Marks Place is the melting pot of NYC all on one street. It has so much history dating back over 200 years. I don't know St. Mark personally but I hear he's very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads — they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

This street hasn't changed much over the years except for some new shops that opened up here and there, some have lasted and others disappeared into night like the hookers of yesteryear. There's no doubt those creastures of the night ate a lot of wieners back in the day but in the present day there's a relative newcomer that is bringing wacky Japanese style hot weenies to this hood.

Let's go check it out and fill our mouths with some hot Asian tubesteak...

Where is this place? I can't find it... This sign ain't big enough. The people in Harlem can't see it.

WTF! Ice cream in fried hot dog buns? Fuck yeah, bro! Ok, they call it Age Ice. Whatever. Domo arigato, Mistor Fatboto.

I just ate 2 other lunches back to back already but I couldn't let my 1 reader down. Pouch don't fail me now... So, I ordered only 2 "dogs". I know, I know, I'm either getting old or retaining booze. Speaking of which, I'm kinda getting moist right now. Squirt.

OKONOMI. Kurobuta sausage topped with bonito flakes.
It's an interesting specimen. They don't skimp on the bonito flakes... Nor the bread. I mean there is more than enough bread to fit 2 dogs in there. The pork tube was pretty good but the bonito flakes just kinda gets in the way... But adding a little wasabi mayo helped a bit. Definitely a filling snack if you're in between meals.

BLACK SESAME AGE ICE. Black sesame ice cream, fried bun.
Leave it to the Japas to concoct fucked up weird eats... Ok, the Chinos may be weirder, eating brown noodles out of a bowl in the shape of a toilet. But anyways, this red-headed step child of a mess was actually decent. The fried bun coated with sugar is reminiscent of a zeppoli. The sesame ice cream didn't really look like the black balls on the wall... What a shame because I really wanted to lick some black balls to go with my wiener. The sesame ice cream was passable (didn't really have a strong sesame taste to it) and the bun woulda been great if it was a bit less thick. It's an interesting specimen but with a little tweaking this could be really good. 

This Vancouver based chain/franchise thinger is cute and trendy but if the food isn't a fit in this hood, these trendy little places with high rent ain't staying around long. I hope they stay for a bit because it's something different and the list of Japadogs they offer are actually decent quality... I'm kinda tired of the $1 slices at 2 Bros. Pizza... Yeah, I said it. But I'll recant if you buy me a few drinks and a plate of KFC at Mono+Mono.

1 Star.

30 Saint Marks Place
New York, NY 10003
(646) 476-2324
http://www.japadog.com/

No comments: