Thursday, July 5, 2012

FIG

Quiet little Charleston, SC has been making a big splash (unlike me after a visit to a shitty restaurant) in the last few years in the culinary world. I knew I had to see what the fuss was all about, so I finally made an awesome road trip out of it. I was hoping to find some dumps along the way that would make me jizz in my pants like some insanely inbred backwoods redneck Hogzilla BBQ or mystical Chupacabra monster fwied cheekan... There were tons of BBQ signs and a couple of Bojangles billboards but none were to be had or found. I shit you not, this Duke's BBQ is like Atlantis. So, I made a beeline straight to C-town (and no, I'm not talking about the low rent supermarket in NY).

This historic little city has been winning food awards left and right recently and I had my list of eats and my pouch at the ready. First up was FIG (Food Is Good). Mike Lata who cooked in Atlanta for a few years opened this 'hood bistro in 2001. Even though it's been around for a good while, I wanted to see if it still deserve all the hype and raves today as it had since the beginning.

It was hot as a fucking orgy inside a single-wide with Paula Deen and Delta Burke... So, I was glad this place was only a couple of blocks away from the hotel. If I had to go another block of walking, you could literally go crabbing in my underpants.

Looks like a standard old 'hood joint.


STRUBE RANCH WAGYU BEEF CARNE CRUDA fennel, walnust, san andreas. This pic sucks ass but the beef cruda was amazingly fresh. Shit tasted like it just walked into the kitchen and ground up 5 minzies before it went into my snout.

PUREE of SWEET CORN SOUP morel mushroom, tarragon. Who knew corn soup could be so friggin good? This was packed full of flavor and silky smooth. Best version in town.

SLICED HEIRLOOM TOMATOES celery hearts, smoky oregon blue dressing. Must be something in the water here because these were some of the best heirloom 'maters I have had. Serio, these were meaty and sweet as hell.
BUTCHER PLATE chicken liver pate, country pork terrine, ciccioli. Nice assortment of forcemeats. That is all.
SAUTEED SOFTSHELL CRABS corn, cherry tomatoes, felt's country ham. Holy shit, these crabs were as fresh as the ones in my underpants... They tasted like local talent. So guud and perfect for the summer... Or any season for that matter.

FISH STEW in COCOTTE brown shrimp, squid, mussels, carolina gold rice, rouille. This is my kinda seafood stew... Fresh shellfish does it every time. The Carolina Gold rice is good stuff.

RICOTTA GNOCCHI and BORDER SPRINGS FARM LAMB BOLOGNES. One word: Dericious. I wanna lay my head on these lil pillows of joy.


SAUTEED RAPINI garlic, pepperoncini. Gotta eat my greens to stay regular.

OKRA tomato, chile, mint. I'm not a big fan but these were really good.
CHOCOLATE hazelnut. Some dessert thinger... Tis wuz guud.


So, the hype and raves for this joint lived up to it after all these years. They really got their shit together here... From the cocktails, service, food execution, timing and pricing. Great meal from a local joint that didn't PR the shit outta it. You cook it well, they will come... I did twice. Can't wait for his new joint called "The Ordinary" to open.
 
 
4 Stars.

232 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC
843-805-5900
http://eatatfig.com/

No comments: