Sunday, July 8, 2012

Husk Restaurant

You can't come to Charleston and not hit up the 2 most super hyped up restos in the land, Sean Brock's Husk and McCrady's. Of course, I had to visit both but there's no way I could do two dinners, so I decided to do one lunch and other dinner. Husk got the luck of the draw and lunch it was.

One great thing about this town is that it's a walking town. Everything is close to one another. This is dangerous for me because there are so many places to eat. This 2 level house restaurant is pretty cool, love the location and right next door is the Husk Bar in a garage sized shack, too bad they don't open til 5PM.

Decor inside is modern but casual.. And very open too so no one is sitting on top of each other. But enough of the chit-chat... Let's get to the food.

 Purdy menu.

 Bread & Butter.


“Kentuckyaki” Pig Ear Lettuce Wraps with Marinated Vegetables and Cilantro. Great texture between the crispy fried pig ears and marinated veggies. Fun dish with Asian influences.

Edisto Island Heirloom Tomatoes with TX Olive Oil, Bourbon Smoked Salt and Pepper. Ithought the GA heirloom tomatoes were good but these blew them out of the water. It must be the water here because these were some of the best tomatoes I have eaten. So good.

Chilled Corn Soup with Poached Shrimp, Pickled Baby Corn and HUSK Mascarpone. With a name like Husk, this corn soup better be fucking outrageous... And it was. Creamy, rich, flavorful and velvety. It was so smooth and add in the texture of the pickled corn kernels... Da-Ang, bro! Also, loved how they served it in a wooden bowl. I felt pretty like Goldilocks.

SC Shrimp and Grits with Field Peas, Roasted Onion, Sweet Corn and HUSK Sausage Poached Celeste Albers Egg. I make fun of my friend for eating shrimp & grits like everyday when she's here at her beach house during the summer months... But I had to tried it at least once when I'm in town. I'm glad I did, this was da bomb. It wasn't your ordinary S&G, there were so many other components in here that made it an amazing dish, the poached egg did it for me.


This local celeb has been traveling and making appearances all over the place and he didn't even go on Top Chef for 4 years... He did it by actually cooking in a kitchen night after night. Imagine that, he got to the top by hard work and putting out good food. This must be some type of fluke.

The food is good here and they seem like they care about what they put out too... And it shows in every dish. Next time, I'm doing dinner here.

3 Stars.

76 Queen St.
Charleston, SC
843.577.2500
http://huskrestaurant.com/

No comments: