Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Umaido - Spicy Level 100 Ramen Challenge

I love spicy food. No, I really fucking love spicy food. I have yet met anyone who is willing to eat some spicy ass shit with me... Or any cuisine that has taken me down with insane heat. I have sent back Thai Hot dishes because it was as spicy as ice cubes... Not once but three times one time at an undisclosed location and all they did was put more Sambal Oelek or Sriracha in it, bullshit. How about Indian and Sichuan? Ditto, bitches... I eat that shit for a snack before I go spelunking in an active volcano.

Bricklane in eVill, NYC supposedly has the the sickest Phaal dish that is made up of 8,000 chili's including the infamous Ghost chili (970,000 Scoville Units). My brother did the Phaal Challenge and he laughed at it like Sloth laughing at Chunk eating a Baybee Ruth... Suffice to say, I scratched that off my list since my brah finds Twizzlers too spicy. But I will try it one day... When penguins fly or mebbe tonight, which ever comes first.

Anyhoo, back to Umaido... I've been to this place when it opened a long time ago because I heard they have a super spicy ramen (level 3... Wooooo, I'm so scared, level 3) which was a joke and haven't been back since their new Spicy Level 100 Ramen Challenge. Oh, don't get me wrong, their Ramen is good, real tastee but don't PR a level 100 when it's more like sub-level 100. Btw- It's just too far to drive for acceptable ramen, hit up Yakitori Jinbei or Shoya, they are closer to town and satisfies any ramen needs.

Ok, here's the deal... Eat an entire bowl (including broth) of Level 100 Spicy Ramen within 7 minzies and it's yours free, pic up on the wall with your time and get 10% off on any ramen hence forth (or mebbe the entire check, who knows, who cares).

(Level 100 Spicy Ramen Challenge - Look at that rich thick ass reddish poo in a bowl.)

(Emptied one bowl in 4:41 minutes and filled another in 30 seconds.)

So, how was it? Overall, the temperature was not boiling hot, more like tepid to me. The spicy level 100 was a mockery, I was expecting and wanting something just shy of magma to make me cry and sweat like David Dinkins at a press conference. Didn't happen. But it was tastee nonetheless.

As fast as I inhale the noodles and junk in the bowl into my piehole, the broth proved a little more challenging... It got thicker and greasier at the end. My hands did shake a little lifting the last few spoonfuls of broth to my mouth. Once, I completed it in a respectable 4:41 minutes... I shoulda let my stomach settle a little before attempting to speak. But I didn't and I hurled a mouthful back into the bowl. Yeah, yum... But that's part of the business. The problem is that you force so much volume in such a short period into your stomach before it really has a chance to expand and it has nowhere else to go except back out.

It was fun but I don't think I would do it again unless someone is willing to pay me to do it, but I'll take a BJ in the bathroom.

PS- I give props to the people who completed the 4 bowl challenge in 20 minutes. If you do it in 5 minutes, you get free ramen for 6 months! Fucking radical!

PPS- Walked over to Super H and got me a box of KFC from Toreore. I can't say no to chicken, like Pooky can't say no to crack. Chicken crack.

3 Stars.

2790 Lawrenceville Suwanee Rd

Suwanee, GA 30024
(678) 318-8568

No comments: