Monday, September 20, 2010

Deckard's Kitchen & Kegs

For all you people who misses the hibachi joint formerly known as Matsuri in this space, fret not... Some piece of shit Asian Bistro will be going into the old Repast space. But for now you get this new "gastropub" as the staff so excitedly says as if that term was new.

The term "Gastropub" is used up more than the lovely "Candy" whom you can find most nights on Boulevard and North Ave. But if you want a little more consistency, look no further, you got Deckard's right here. She can be your skanky ho any time. I had her 3 times already and mebbe I'll go in for a 4th.

The location is kinda weird for a gastropub/sports bar kinda joint. It's Ponce and no one wants a corporate type of place around here (even though this strip mall is full of them, I hate you Whole Foods). Not saying that it's corporate here (like Taco Mac, wink wink) but you know some big money went behind this venture. The decor is dark wood. The menu is upscale bar food. The drinks are beer and some cocktails. I like it and I don't like it here even though it's rarely packed. It seems like they are still trying to find their target demographics. But who cares what I think... Let's get to the good stuff. Grub.

Scotch Egg - Looked great on paper, tasted like paper on a plate. I like my yolk to be a little runny, hard-boiled is the classic way but I didn't care for the sulfurized edges (sure sign that it wasn't cooled down quick enough, if it was soft-boiled there would be no problem). The sausage wrap was dry, crumbly and bland. I know some like this served cold like revenge but I'm paying for this pal... You can at least flash fry it. Balls.

Pork Tenderloin w/ Brussel Sprouts and Bacon - (Off the menu now I think) Precooked tenderloin and then reheated. Imagine how dry that pizzle would be. They kinda look like door stops when cut on the bias. It was ok, a nice portion but a bit chewy. The sprouts were cooked properly, maplely sweet and toothy, but the bacon cubes (lardon) were overcooked and black as night. Oink.

Farmhouse Ham & Cheese - My eyes almost bugged out when I saw this. Cheese is melted on top of the bread... Just like a croque-monsieur! Self: My hands are gonna get gweezy here. It's not bad, decent size sandwich but I like cheese touching my meat. Mebbe they can flipped it next time. Who knows. The onions rings were undercooked to the point that there were raw flour/batter clumps when you bite into it. Yum. Do I swallow it or do I snort it? They did redo them... A couple more times. Fail.

On the house dessert thingy - Pistachio ice cream with some brownie brick and frozen raspberries. I'm not a dessert/pastry person so 1 bite and I'm done. It was cute. Yelpers woulda love this, it was free.

House Made Gravy Fries - (No pic) Were very crispy and nicely prepared with a sharp peppery gravy to dip your sticks in to. Me likey.

Their claim to fame in their minds are the steam kettle cooked dishes such as shrimp & grit, beef goulash, mussels and a couple noodle/pasta dishes. Looks interesting for the next time I'm there to actually eat again.

FYI- The menu has changed a bit since opening which is a good sign they are working on creating a better menu with food that people actually want to eat. Good beer list but cocktails are hit or miss... Depending on the schleprock who's slinging dwinks behind the bar. If you don't know what a whiskey old-fashioned is... Put on an apron and rubber gloves and do the dishes.

3 Stars.

650 Ponce De Leon Ave.
Atlanta, GA 30308
(404) 941-3520

No comments: