Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Illegal Food

I came in here last minute on a couple of occasions and left both times because it was such a shit show those nights. So, I came back again because I had a feeling this place would be worth the trouble...Or just the pouch wanting to be a prick and nitpick about the goat rodeo on the next post. So, the pouch goes on a Friday night no less and it wasn't even crowded at all. Weird. Not much to bitch about so far. Sat at the bar and proceeded to do shots, lots of shots. It was a long day. Then comes the cocktails and more shots... I'm liking this place already. Hell, I could be happy in a toilet and I would be fine as long as I have booze. This location has been spotty with the previous concepts... Bar Meatball? C'mon, stealing ideas from NYC ain't gonna translate well here... Different demographics and palates... Or lack of. So, now it's back to the good ole Southern/American grub. Let's sample some vittles since we're already here... It can't be that bad, drunk...

A Cock and A Shot. The only way to start off a night... Squirt.

Pork Skinz. Made fresh, still hot and cracklin... And free. The chick next to me doesn't eat pork (so why the fuck is she even in here) so I got her bowl as well. The pouch thanks your dumb beliefs for more of this tasty snack.

Pork and Beef Tongue. Stop teasing me you bastards... This is heaven. Piggy and Bossy's tongue on a plate. Ultra tender and fresh. Is it bad that I tongued each of them way too long with every slice? Damn good threesome.

Pork Cheek Rillettes and Pimento Cheese. Who doesn't love pork cheeks, it's the best part of a whole hog. The cheek rillettes were good, I like the balance between the spreadability and the texture that still reminds you that it's a piggy cheek. I'm not a fan of pimento cheese but this version I was totally ok with it. One can only imagine the origin of this slop, it's like a creation by some hick that had nothing left in his icebox, so he just mixed shitty spoiled condiments together and ate it with stale crackers. This specimen wasn't as harsh as other pimento cheese that gets right in your face, it's more mellow with other goodies inside besides the pimentos. I liked it for a change.

Housemade Jerky. This pic is dark as shit because the jerky is brown like poo... But they were really good. I like the thickness to it which was pretty thin, so you can pull them apart easier. It has a sweet flavor to it with a little kick of spice and I love chewing it until it gets all moist and mushy inside your mouth... Sicko. Great portion, too... Not just a few scraps like so many other places do.

Fried Brussels Sprouts. This was a side dish and the portion was huge, I mean huge like a family style sharing bowl. It looks like they roasted them initially and then flash fried them to order. The buttermilk aioli and tomato powder were great. This was pretty awesome.

Hank. Some say this is the best burger in town... Pouch says it's close. It is a really good burger. It's just not the juicy meat patty itself, it's the whole package. The toasted bun held everything together well which looked impossible. It is a very juicy burger and once you pick it up you can't put it down until it's gone. It's one of the top burgaz in town.

Fries with Onion Dip and Sriracha Honey. I couldn't make up my mind so I got all the different dips and sauces. Onion dip was thick and packed with flavor. The sriracha honey was just ok, needs more heat and the housemade catsup was not too shabby. The fries were really good. I like the length and girth and the bite to them... That's what she said. It's a hefty portion, definitely won't leave hungry.

Barkeep, make me something that I have never had before. So, out comes this exhibit that my buddy made which is still a work in progress... Looks kinda weird like a chick's weak ass drink but it tasted way better than it looked. Would I get it again? Prolly not, I like my whiskey neat too much.

This joint is doing almost everything right on this visit... From the drinks to the menu. While the menu is pretty small, everything was executed very well. I rather see a small menu with really good food that I want to eat than to see a huge menu that 90% of it sucks ass. This place is good, the pouch approves. Will be back... Especially, for their insane Tomahawk chop where you can get it from like 25oz to like 125oz. I saw the fucking thing... It is huge. I shoulda took a picture of it but like the mysterious Dirk Diggler schlong, I only had enough time to catch a glance.

Squirt.

1044 Greenwood Ave NE
Atlanta, GA 30306
404-254-2141
http://www.illegalfoodatlanta.com/

No comments: