Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ledet Ethiopian

This area is Ethiopian central. It's got so much competition in one parking lot. I like Ethiopian grub (hell, I like every cuisine in the world) but I don't eat it much because there's nothing really crave-worthy about it. But these places must be doing something right and filling a niche for all the ex-pats in this town. Sometimes, I just need an injera fix when I get tired of eating Popeyes in the same lot. YES, you heard correctly, I can't eat that dericious God's gift to the world every single day... Just only 5 days out of the week.

Most of these places are plain Jane, decor is not their strong suit but they usually shine through in their food. The menu here looked decent enough with the standard assortment of Kitfo, Tibs and what not... Only thing missing were the stews called Wat but they do have some vegetarian version. The funniest thing was the prominent display of Trader Joe's 2 Buck Chuck wine for something like $6 by the glass. Who fucking prints that on their menu?!!!


Instead of getting the usual Kitfo of raw cubed beef and spices... I opted to change it up a little. Actually, I wasn't all that comfortable doing the kitfo here, just a pouch feeling. But anyways.. Back to the food.

(Sambusa)

UFO's? ...Be afraid, very afraid, they are real. Unidentified Frying Objects. Pre-fried and re-fried to order. Totally tasteless and bland. It was like 3 day old sawdust. I think they just found these behind the fryer. Godawful. PS- there were two options- lentil or beef filling... Was offered neither.


(Goden Tibs)

Came out on a sizzling hot plate, crackly and steamy. Looking good, Billy Ray! Then the server just dumps it on the injera lined plate. Smooooth. This wouldn't be bad if it didn't consist of 50% bone, 30% fat, 10% gristle and 10% edible meat. When I was done eating what was actually edible, the plate of bone, gristle and fat looked like it had the same weight/volume as when it first came out to the table. The veggies and injera were the best part. Boy, am I stuffffffed. Shoulda got the Kitfo... Check, pweez. At least I didn't have to weigh myself when I got home like I usually do after each meal. Winner!


(Whole Fried Tilapia)

I love whole fried fish... Even if it's the Godforsaken tilapia. Because you expect it to be cooked to order. Not here, they know better, obviously... Fry it once first, let it sit around to dry out until someone orders it and then refry it again. It's all about the mise en place. Kept picking at it to find a decent piece of flesh that was semi-moist. This thing looked like it has been curing all week under the blazing Ethiopian sun. It was basically all dried out and hard as a rock... Speaking of rocks, I think this might have been a fossil from the Paleozoic Era. Even the limes were dried out, not one drop. Looks like I got hoodwinked, again. Loser!


(Injera)

Any jocks out there needing some ace bandage for your sprained ankles? Squirt.

I don't know what to say about this place, maybe the other dishes are better like the sandwiches or the spaghetti, who knows but when 3 out of 3 dishes were a dud, I think I'll just cut my losses and let bygones be bygones. The food here seems so uninspired, no passion, nothing had any resemblance of flavor. The service was spotty and not very friendly, almost had that feeling they were there against their will. Is indentured servitude still in practice?

No Rating.

3082 Briarcliff Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30329
www.ledetethiopianrestaurant.com

1 comment:

Jason Riedy said...

Good injera is crave-worthy. The fresh stuff at YDFM is freakin' great. Seriously fermented goodness, and it's perfect for scooping up a nice, meaty chili. Not "authentic," but who cares?

(Thanks for the warning on Ledet. Still haven't tried any local Ethiopian restaurants, just good caterers.)