Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baba's Gyro & Kabob

Believe it or not, but I work up in this Godforsaken area called Norcross. I pass by this giant billboard on a daily basis adverting this relatively new and authentic "Mediterranean/Greek" joint that happens to be right across the street from my office. You know what that means...

I think the space they occupy was once a Thai joint long ago... A Thai joint that was flushed from my memory along with the food. Oh, I think it was called Boone Thai, they shoulda called it Boom Thai because I blew their toilet the fuck up. Whatever.

Anyways, so, I ran in here for a quick bite to see how their shit was. This is supposedly their second location with their first in Cumming... I hoped for the best, so I got there early. Hey, first served, first cum.

(Kashk-O-Bodenjoon)
Sauteed eggplant with onion and mint, topped with cream of whey.

It looked ok, not very exciting as you can see... Wait, it reminds me of a game we played while pledging in college... Um, nevermind. But this shit was super salty, it's edible but just be warned. This shit catches up with you like an hour later and you get so friggin dehydrated. It would make you drink the piss straight outta horse's schlong if you didn't have water around... Not that we did that in college. No sir-ree.


(Lamb Gyro)

Surprisingly, it was half way decent except for the unnecessary amount of green filler. The lamb "strips" were flavorful, moist, tender and warm through. Most gyros I've had were either room temp or just plain cold. The worst offenders are the nuked ones where its evident by the hard corners, this had none of it. The pita had the right thickness, some are too thin and break apart or too thick and you spend half the day chewing it. The Tzatziki sauce was the weak link, it needed help, no flavor at all and way too thin. I wished they would display the Autodoner out in plain sight, so I can take a gander of that delicious bulging twirling layered man meat... But overall, it was not a bad gyro.


(What is this? No clue)

Next.


(Shish Kabob)
Beef tenderloin (Filet Mignon) charbroiled to perfection.

Why do restaurants always say that- "... to perfection"? Why, can I get it cooked to imperfection, is that an option? I think it's pretty much industry standard that when you cook something, anything, it should be to the best of you abilities. But back to the food, the kabob was acceptable, a little on the rubbery side. A bit overcooked and lackluster flavors... So, no, it wasn't to perfection. The rice was ok but unseasoned, maybe the only thing in the whole place that was unseasoned. The veggie medley is your standard issue assortment of crappy stir fry specimens.

The staff was pretty friendly and attentive but the food was kinda hit and miss. Stick to the simple dishes and I mean the simpler the better aka gyro. Forget the apps, look for those on your iPad. Would I eat here again since it's so close to my occupation... Only if they deliver.

1 Star.

5270 Peachtree Pkwy
Suite 115
Norcross, GA 30092
678-966-9994
www.babasgyros.com

No comments: