Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Green Ginger Asian Fusion

Didn't feel like waiting for over an hour to get a seat at the bar at Cakes & Ale, so decided to give this place a shot since I have eaten at every single local resto around these parts (chain shit restos excluded). Can't be that bad, right?

Famous last words...

The interior looked fine. Modern and somewhat cleanish looking. Seems like an alright place for a quick bite before some heavy duty whisky drankin in the square. Place was practically empty for a friday night. Not a good sign. Then I see an iPad inside this hollowed out space in the side of the table. What could it be? Wine list like at some really cool restos? No, it was a fucking gimmick with stupid games on it, you couldn't even access Safari to check your email. What a waste of money.

Let's hope they spent big dollars on the ingredients, too. The menu is way too long... That's what she said. No, really, the waitress said that. And it sure was a rather large menu with just way too many dishes on it. So, I stuck with the simple high turn over dishes to keep it fresh at least. Is it me or the does the menu seem to read backwards... For example, isn't it Shrimp Tempura vs Tempura Shrimp? Who knows, I don't speak Spanish...


(Tempura Shrimp)

Look at the pic... One of these things is doing the wrong thing. The shrimp has a panko crust and the veggies a tempura batter. Nothing wrong with panko but it is not tempura shrimp. Tell tale sign these sea creastures came from the back of a truck in a discreet brown bag. Sad part is, they weren't half bad, crispy and hot. That's more than I can say for the "fresh made" tempura veggies, the batter was made in house alright but I wouldn't call it tempura, it was more like watered down spackle. The best part was that they battered and fried all the veggies together in one clump. Of course it came out semi crispy on the outside and pure mush with 5 gallons of oil in the center. Pure bliss.


(Sashimi Regular - 15 pcs sashimi & chef's choice roll )

Wow, look at the purdy colors. How exciting... Not only did it wet my whistle, I wet my pants also. Looks just like the plastic window display food in the Narita airport food court. Only if it was. Previously frozen and recently thawed raw fish for your oral pleasures... Shit, I rather get it on Boulevard. It's fresher. At least they used Shiso leaves on this presentation but the tuna was the worst of the bunch, the silverskin in between was so tough and unchewable that I decided to use it as floss... Why not, kill two birds with one stone. Shit, someone kill me, instead.

Let's hope the chef's choice roll is a nicer surprise than this plain Jane Ru San buffet quality spectacle.

Oh, shit. What a surprise... A California Roll. The sushi chef has really out done himself this time... Now, get back to mopping the floor.


(Pad Kee Mao aka Drunken Noodles)

WTF is this? I rather French kiss the Predator. This looks like it was pulled out from the bottom of a donkey's ass. This is not Pad Kee Mao, OK, mebbe after a few whiskeys, wait, make that a whole bottle. I would have to be bat shit drunk to convince me that this is a Thai dish of any form. It was greasy, pungent, way too sweet and salty with overly dried precooked chicken that had the texture of a super ball from a candy machine. This was just awful. Look at it.

Not only was the food dismal, the service was almost nonexistent. The server was sitting at a table at the other end of the resto talking on the phone and folding napkins or something. The food came out in such a weird order and we were never given napkins or utensils, I almost thought I was at an Ethiopian joint and might as well eat with my toes... It woulda tasted better. I didn't realize it until I walked out that the name of the resto had "Asian Fusion" in it.

My Fried Chicken Lips got what my Fried Chicken Lips deserved for this mistake.

What a dump.

No Rating.

265 Ponce De Leon Pl
Decatur, GA 30030
(404) 373-2788

No comments: