Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fil-Am Star Cafe and Bakery

This town has a handful of decent Asian joints but Filipino cuisine is almost impossible to find in the South. Most people don't even know what the fuck Filipino food is anyways, so when I ask people if they ever had it, they all say "it's just like Chinese food." ...WTF. But luckily, there is one single place in metro Atlanta that you can actually sample some of the island's grub. This place has been around for a bit and still alive and kicking, so they must be doing something right. There were a couple other places OTP for Filipino swag but I know of one that definitely got 86'd a while ago. It's just a cuisine that's not very well known with the Necks, what a shame. Or not.

I don't crave Filipino food but I do like it because it draws its cuisine from so many cultures... From Chinese, Spanish, American, Malay, Arab to a handful of other Asian and Latin cultures. All this equals to only one thing... Pouch likey!

Ok, let's quit with the chit chat and do some chowing... That's what she said. Ooooh! So, y'all tag-a-long with me and see what I'm about to put in my pouch.


Lumpiang Shanghai - The name is alien but the picture of this is oh so common. Fried eggrolls with meat and veg, of course! Fresh, hot, crispy and tasty. It was nicely wrapped and fried, which surprised me because they're usually all fucked up looking and falling apart. Good job, Lumpy.


Lechon Kawali - You know WTF this is... Oh, yeah, bitches! Deep. Fried. Pork. Belly. Glorious. That is all, nerds. It's served with this liver based sauce but it tasted like fresh earthworm dung.


Fried Chicken Max's Style - Who the fuck is Max and why is his chicken so good? Max's is a popular family chain restaurant in the Philippines famous for his fried cheekan, duh. But he steams his chicken first vs. choking it, before he deep fries it "to perfection" (I stole that from Cracker Barrel). It makes it super crispy outside and moist and juicy inside (just got a blood flow). How was this version? It was pretty good, very crispy on the outside but the inside was a little dry. Don't worry, I still ate the fuck out of it like it was Megan Fox. Squirt.


Pancit Guisado - Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me? This dish was greasier than a guido's mane. I kid I kid... Tis was alright, nothing to write Imelda Marcos about, she wouldn't read my shitty letter anyways since she's prolly bizy counting her shoe collection. Whore.


Tortang Talong - Looks like someone sat on a whoopie cushion. This reminded me of some bastard child of a frittata... But this was described as pan fried grilled eggplant with meat. And you forgot to mention a basket load of eggs, too. It was passable but it would be a "no thanks, ma'am" next time.


Chicken Adobo - Can't go to a Filipino joint without ordering this dish. The unspoken national dish. Mebbe it is spoken and acknowledged, I don't know, I don't speak Tagalog. It was a nice dish but not a blow me good without teeth kinda dish. I love anything adobo but it needed more flavor and seasoning (garlic, soy and vinegar). Plus, I like the chicken browned off a little first before stewing. I would prolly order another adobo dish on my next visit.

For it to be the only Filipino resto in Atlanta, you gotta take the good with the bad. Most of the dishes are hit or miss but beggars can't be choosers. Just eat it and shut the fuck up. Translation: This pouchy liked it. It's cheap, filling, tasty and different. Go git ye sum.

1.5 Stars.

5150 Buford Highway
Atlanta, GA 30340
770-220-0592
http://www.filamstarcafe.com/

No comments: