Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rise Sushi Lounge

Did I walk into STATS by mistake... Because I needed a 1000 c.c.'s of adrenalin, STAT! This place was as dead as the fish in the display case. The ratio of staff to customers was 14:1... And yet we couldn't get a menu let alone service. The only Asian working was the "sushi chef", who turned out to be the assistant. The "Master Sushi Chef" was nowhere to be found... I think he was applying for a job at Ru San's.

Took a gander at the tired-looking fish in the case and my first thought was... An ex-girlfriend. No Toro, Chutoro or Otoro... Meh. But they did have Uni so I got excited. I wanted to Rise outta my chair and walk out when I saw him pull out a wooden tray of mushy, brown and watery Uni... Was it Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard? My manhood deflated quicker than a 70 year old man when the sushi helper started poking at it with his nose-picking finger... It was disturbing to hear him tell me that it was fwesh. To top it off he states that the "real" sushi chef prepares Uni Nigiri chopped up. WTF?

Actual order of dishes:

Octopus Salad - 4 thinly sliced octopus had decent flavor but the mound of half-way sliced accordion of cucumbers were barely marinated in the "vinaigrette".

Soft Shell Crab - Lightly battered and crispy, not too bad. They left out the wasabi aioli but they included another mound of poorly sliced cucumber in some strange dressing... I think it was shellac.

Sushi/Sashimi Combo - I haven't seen a more pathetic display of sliced fish since the Butcher of Bakersfield. Hacked up like chum... I rather have the skills of a Rabbi behind the counter than this helper's help. I don't know if it was sushi grade or grade school but it tasted pretty much low rent... as in Section 8. The spicy tuna roll was treated in the same fashion of the Uni... A monster mash of tuna giblets seasoned with Taco Bell sauce, c'mon, you gotta think outside the bun when it comes to innovative sushi!

Shrimp Tempura - Nothing Ru San's couldn't handle... It was crispy to say the least. The tempura sauce was some type of witch's brew of salt and more salt... I wished I brought my BaconSalt.

Miso Soup - It was wet... Fragrant like Limberger cheese and tasted like old shoe leather.

Side Salad - It was green... No dressing and a couple dices of wet mushy tomato.

This ass-backwards meal wasn't even worth 50% off... Who ever pays full price for this better get a proper rogering as well. The Dinner Menu was funny like a clown (but crying on the inside), it was merely there to amuse me. Just poor service, quality and execution on all cylinders. They didn't even say goodbye which was fine with me... Less eye contact the better.
1 Star each for the 2 fwee glasses of house wine since they have no liquor license yet.

Sayonara biatches...

Flush.

300 Marietta St
Ste 104
Atlanta, GA 30313
(404) 477-0947

No comments: