Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Original Brooklyn Water Bagel Co.

Let's face it... Bagels suck in this town. So many claim they have real NYC bagels... I call bullshit. It's like NYC claiming they have authentic grits. It just ain't gonna happen in either places. As you know, any place that slaps on anything to do with NYC, I have to check it out. Plus, how Larry King got conned into investing in this place is beyond me. So, will this franchise chain thinger produce the goods, the real goods or will it be just another fucking stupid gimmick to Jedi mind trick the sheep into thinking they're getting the real deal. Kinda like replacing Coke with Pepsi or the fake Korean Taco trend, will people know the difference... Let's go take a looksie.

Bottles of "Brooklynized" water line the partition... Sell the gimmick, sell the gimmick! Walking passed the windowed work area reminded me of Lucy and Ethel at the candy factory. Too bad no one gets to see it in action since they make the bagels like at 4AM.

Looks like a giant can of Red Bull. How fucking cheesy can you get with the "Brooklynizer" stunt? C'mon, bro, knock that shit off.

Baker's Dozen, plain, whole wheat, multigrain, whole wheat everything, pumpernickel, garlic, rye, salt, poppy, sesame, onion, cinnarmon raisin, and everything. Yeah, I got it all... Had to be impartial. Well, except for the Asiago... Sounds like something Panera would do, flush. 

Flagel with everything. Had to get it because it reminded me of a bialy... And I lurvs me some bialys from Kossar's.

So, how was it... I'll tell you what, for a brand new franchise here in this town, it wasn't bad. Was it a NYC bagel? Fuck no. But would I go back all the way fuck up there in Cobbland to fetch me some yeasty doughy fuck holes whens I get the hankerin'? Prolly. The "Brooklynized" water played a small part in this I would assume but the NYC climate could never be reproduced down here which I think plays a more important role than just the water, yeast, malt and flour used. The crust was pretty nice and had that crackle when you bite into it but needed a little more color, the inside was soft and the "toppings" were adequate sometimes overboard, the "pull" was also acceptable.. But my biggest gripe is the size of these things. They are too fucking big, real NY bagels are smaller but even now most bagel shops around NYC are making them larger for the tourists. It had the right guidelines to a NYC bagel but the formula still needs tweaking but I don't think it could ever be done properly because of the southern climate and inconsistent humidity. Overall, it's decent for what it is and the flagel was my favorite of the bunch. Oh, they also do bagel sandwiches and other sacrilegious shit that should never be done to a bagel but whatevs... And for God's sake, only apply a smear of cream cheese, it's not fucking spackle, people.

And remember... Real New Yorkers don't toast their bagels. Ever.

1.5 Stars.

2955 Cobb Pkwy
Atlanta, GA 30339
770-988-9991
www.brooklynwaterbagels.com

No comments: