Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tonkotsu Ramen... Who's is it?

So, a friend of mine and I were discussing how ramen sucks a big dick in this town... And how people think all the ramen joints in the greater metro area are so genuine and getting what they pay for. Well, sorry to break it to y'all.. But most places don't make the broth from scratch, a lot of them use powder base soups and just enhance them with some chicken and pork bones or sometimes none at all. That's fine if you're making it at home but if I'm paying for it, I want the real deal.

So, how do you tell when you're getting the real deal? Well, that's where a refractometer and the Brix scale comes into play. It measures the concentration of the soluble solids in the broth. Well, what the fuck does that mean in Engrish, Mistor Scientist? It means that bowl of tonkotsu broth will be da bomb! The higher the Brix %, the thicker/richer the broth is... Which means it's gonna be fucking good. So, he decided to make a batch of tonkotsu broth with pork bones from Gum Creek Farms. I'm not gonna get into the whole process of making the damn painintheass stock but a great tonkotsu takes time (dozens of hours) and attention to details... Making sure all the marrow, collagen, fat, calcium, minerals, proteins and whatever else is in them bones get properly extraction and converted into a stock full of gelatinous goodness... Hence the Brix %.

Darth Vader's light saber... Ok, I made that shit up but this is an actual refractometer, it's fun! Just don't use it on bodily fluids because that would be just fucked up... Believe me. So many sick perverted fuckers out there who wants to check their manhood with this instrument for science.

Ooooooh, lookie here... A nice thick rich bowl of homemade tonkotsu ramen. Look at the bottom of the pic with the top layer of broth congealing. Oh, you know that shit is for realz, yo... How do I know this? Because the refractometer said so... 19 Brix, bitches! Well, once diluted down it was about 12-13%... Which is prolly the consistency you want in a ramen, too thick is just too much. Ok, I could use about a 15 but that's me, though.

Eat it fast before it totally congeals! The ramen noodles were firm yet springy, the pork belly melts in your mouth, the soft egg yolk had the perfect run, and the broth had that amazing stickiness when you smack your lips together. This is a bowl I could eat daily. Some may notice why this is brown and not creamy white? Well, because it's suppose to be. The richer color broths are cooked longer than the pale ones. If you find a tonkotsu that is creamy white, you got fucked, it ain't tonkotsu no matter what the menu or gaijin cook says. Trust me.

After slurping that bowl down my pouch in under 5 minzies, I almost took a nap right there in my chair. Shit was good. I just hope someone in this town will make a tonkotsu that can rival this tasty bowl someday...

When I got home, I slipped into a coma for the next 8 hours. I didn't even go out that night... WTF.

Pump

Pump

Squirt

Oh, Miso horny!

No comments: