Tuesday, September 25, 2012

We Suki Suki

Hey, baby. You got banh mi East Atlanta?
Not just this minute.

Well, baby, me so hungry. Me so HUNGRY. Me love food long time. You party?
Yeah, we might party. How much?

Fifteen dollar.
Fifteen dollar too beaucoup. Four dollars each.

Four dollars is all my mom allows me to spend. 
Okay. Four dollar each.

What do I get for four dollars?
Everyting you want.

Everything?
Everyting on dac biet.

I dated chicks like this before... Cute as all hell but filthy as fuck. Reminds me of a cute chippie I once mowed down who had a toilet that was totally black, she didn't clean that nasty thing once since 1986 but anyways... This shotgun shack is the perfect spot for a concept like this. An incredibly simple menu that even my retarded cousin can understand. The owner goes by the name "Q" like in the James Bond flicks but don't let that fool ya, she's a helluva lot hotter than Desmond Llewelyn. But no matter how cute she is (she could make a pair of overalls look guud), the place is still a dump. It's visually unappetizing and it just feels dirty like a roach, er, I mean waterbug, could jump on you anytime. Watching them construct the sandwiches were ghastly... I mean, I have eaten in nasty alleyways all over the Orient for some kickass grub but those places doesn't even come close to how this place made me feel. I didn't want to sit or touch anything up in this piece. All I wanted was my sandwich and boba tea... To go.

Classic Dac Biet "Special Combo" and The Original Taiwanese Boba Tea. First things first, the baguette... It had a nice crispy flaky crust but the inside was a little stale as the chew was a bit gummy. Not awful but for $4, you would expect it to be made that morning (as we all know, fresh banh mi bread can last up to a good 12 hours), this was at least a day old bread, you can smell it... Hey, it's cheaper, whities won't know the difference after they toast it. Now, the filling... I was pretty upset when there was no grilled BBQ pork to be had. It was either the dac biet, a lemongrass cheekan or a tofu. You know what I ain't eating... Tofu for $4? No thanks. So, the dac biet it was but the quality didn't even stand up the middling joints on Buford Hwy. Anyone comparing this to Quoc Huong, Lee's or Huy's is only fooling themselves... No matter how intown and convenient it is for the hobos, er, I mean hipsters. The "meat" filler was second rate (even for a banh mi), it didn't have that gelatinous headcheese we all come to love. It tasted more like thin slices of SPAM.. Not that there's anything wrong with SPAM. I didn't even notice if there were pate in there and the special mayo had no distinct taste to it. The do chua lacked the pickling time to give it that sweet and vinegary taste. Mebbe it's because the Sriracha totally masked the flavor. I also tried the lemongrass cheekan banh mi, really nothing interesting to report on that specimen... Except that it mighta been better if there were marinara and mozzarella on top, hmmm. The boba tea was pretty rank and the tapioca pearls were undercooked, make sure you get them to dump a shitload of Longevity sweetened condensed milk up in that piece. Werd up.

Bottomline: This was just a poor attempt to duplicate what you can get on Bufo Hwy... There is a reason why you drive the 18 minutes to Chambodia, to get the good stuff. Love the effort and excitement by the owner but EAV gets what EAV deserves... As I would say to my good pal, Carl Spackler~ "We have a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for you."

We sucky-sucky. Me no love you too much.

Fair Rating.

479-B Flat Shoals Ave SE
Atlanta, GA 30316
http://wesukisuki.tumblr.com/
(404) 901-6992

No comments: