Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bishoku Sushi

Since, Miso Izakaya started doing their homemade Tonkotsu again, I was getting the hankering to see who else were still serving a respectable bowl of this delicacy around town and how they would compare. So, it looks like the same usual suspects are all still serving it and nothing really new on the scene to get that excited about. Alright, which do I try first... Hmmm, I haven't been back to Bishoku in a long time, so, let's go see how they're doing these days... 

Not much has changed, looks exactly like how I left it... The servers are still cheery and adequate. But the food, has it gotten better or did it remain the same? Time to find out, pouchy pouch...

Tonkotsu Ramen. Hmmm, looks cute. Stirred my spoon around and noticed how watery it was. Rut ruh. Took a sniff, eh, smelled like nothing. Ok. Took a sip, meh, suspicions confirmed. Oh, dear. No lip smacking stickiness from the collagen (because there were none), no deep complex notes from the pork bones (if any were used), a tiny hint of some chicken carcass for sweetness but a true Tonkotsu broth this is not. I cautiously suspect a powder soup base that was enhanced. The noodle itself was acceptable but I hated how they mixed the noodle with a ton of bean sprouts... Sometimes I would like to get a mouthful of just noodle. Your mom knows what I mean. The pork was ok and the other pickled filler were just that, filler. PS- Stop with the nori sheets, it does nothing for this noodle bowl. Why did the image of the McNoodles just popped into my head? Weird...

Bento Box Tidbits. Ginger carrot shit and miso juice. Standard issue filler freebies.

Bishoku Bento Box. Not a bad little tight box... I've had munched on much tastier boxes but that's another story. Mix of sashimi (usual suspects) and an assortment of tempura (shrimp and veggies). It's totally fine for a quick and filling lunch but if you expect quality grade fish, keep fishing. The price point of this may be a little steep for your average working schmuck.

Fish Bait Tasting. Daily selection of fish chum for your oral pleasures.Why bother?

Fried Oysters. Tasty little crunchy nuggets of sea snots. Chinese yellow mustard gave it that extra little kick. 

Seafood Tempura Udon. Looked and tasted like a doctored up version of the packages you buy at the Oriental markets, along with your rugs.

Hamachi Kama. If it's on the menu, I order it... Yeah yeah yeah. Shit was aight... Except it was served upside down. It lacked that crispy and crunch skin and the steamy flesh inside when you open it up. At least they have it, beggars can't be choosers. Werd.

Sushi and Sashimi Omakase - All this shit came out on one plate. WTF? This was not Omakase, it was a combo from Ru San's menu. They might as well include the check with this because this sad display tells me they have no time for you to enjoy the showmanship of an omakase. I wonder if Jiro dreams of this sooshee. The best part was the servers trying to tell me that this was the Real Deal Omakase-field and you also get a tuna roll with it. You got that right, sister, I got fucking rolled alright... Goddamn, Rick Rolled for like 50 bucks of chum. That mofo, said he would never let me down and hurt me. Liar. The otoro was more like toro, shit was sinewy as a sack of bull balls. Y'all don't believe me? Look at the pic. Look at it...

You would expect more from the people behind the original Sushi Huku (which has gotten better after they sold it)... But even with all that experience, it lacked attention to details and customer expectations. Especially, using the word "Omakase" on the menu but getting something else entirely. It's like me telling you that Dim Sum comes all on one plate. No carts, no selections, no pointing your fat finga at things you have no clue about, no fun, no nothing. Duh, people, didn't you know that Dim Sum means "a bunch of shit on a plate"?

Bottomline: It just didn't do it for me, not that it had before but I hoped for the best in time. There aren't many crave-worthy places these days anymore. If I dream about it that night, wake up still thinking about it and still think about a week later... That's crave-worthy. Sushi Huku's omakase is one of them, this joint ain't one of them... But they could be if they really wanted to. But at the end of the day, it's good enough for the locals around here like the pond is good enough for Carl Spackler.

You go home now, fatboy...

1 Star.

B111, 5920 Roswell Road
Sandy Springs, GA 30328
(404) 252-7998
http://www.bishokusushi.com/

No comments: