Monday, September 10, 2012

Heirloom Market & BBQ - Revisited

When I found out about this new BBQ shack that was opening up in nowherenearanything fucking Bartertown almost 2 years ago... I knew there would be something special about this dump the first day I set foot inside this latrine size dining room.

One would think the mix of Southern and Korean flavors would clash in this semi-serious BBQ town... But the owners did something fucking out of this world. Incredible BBQ that would turn this town upside down. They have been slammed ever since my initial review during their first week of opening. I mean slammed everyday like your mom, the weekends are a mad house, the lunch rush seems never ending. I have been here so many times and tried everything including all the prototypes... And nothing was ever garbage. Even their worst test product would beat the best product on some BBQ menus around town. They even had to expand their kitchen work space by removing the 2 smokers inside to a shed built outside. They installed more walk in coolers, added more warm boxes and you can even eat outside now on the porch. 

So, let's check back in and see how this lil shack is doing... 

The Kit Special, half portion. What wha? This is a half portion? I usually get the full portion which is about 3 trays full of everything available in the kitchen but I was watching my girlish figure before a night of heavy drankin' at Dragon*Con. Look at this platter. The brisket is always sick, the tender as hell ribs looked like they came from a fucking dinosaur, the smoked chicken wings are addictive, the awesome pulled pork makes me want to pull something else, the fried okra, brunswick stew and mac n cheez all can't be beat. Yeah, this shit is that good.

The best new favorite item of mine is the Heirloom BLT.... Fuck me silly and call me Sally, this shit was awesome. Marinaded pork belly, smoked and sometimes finished off by searing it in a cast iron with a fried green tomato and an "Asian" slaw deal. This was just a half portion and at around $8 for the full size sandwich with a side, it's the steal of the century. Go get this now.

The BBQ is great and of course the most ordered menu items but a lot of people forget about their selection of sausages. This one here is a gator sausage. Snappy casing and juicy tender gator meat inside. Good stuff.

This little place is busy all the time for a reason... Because they are consistently good and the lines prove it. This is my go to BBQ spot, I used to love Fox Bros but they fell off my radar with their poorer quality these days and Community Q is also a viable option for tasty meats. Oh, and don't forget about Heirloom's KFC on Wednesdays... Which was considered by the AJC as a "Hot Chicken". No fucking way this is even close to a hot chicken from Prince's in Nashville. Why would they even put that in the article is beyond me, mebbe they should actually go and eat it before writing about it. The only way it would be even close to be considered a hot chicken is if you put a shitload of that "Lick My Balls" hot sauce on it... That hot sauce is da bomb!

Burp.

4.5 Stars.

2243 Akers Mill Road Southeast
Atlanta, GA 30339
(770) 612-2502
http://www.heirloommarketbbq.com/

1 comment:

Pinky said...

Thanks for this review! I love it.