Friday, September 21, 2012

Pollo Tropical

A bunch of Latino grilled chicken joints have come and gone like dust in the wind in this town... The most recent was Pollo Loco. I like them for a quick snack from time to time but I wasn't surprised by their mass exodus from Atlanta, again. I don't miss them at all because the cheekan love of my life is only moments away at the corner of Ponce and Boulevard.

I heard decent things about Pollo Tropical. They have been opened for awhile, so, I guess it's time to make a visit and see how they stack up on my crave-worthy scale. The place is cute and pretty much everything is corporate inspired. The place was not packed nor was it empty... A few people here and there but nothing a well trained corporate staffer can't handle. But what made me laugh was the mass amount of grilled chicken piled 8 high, 2 deep and 15 wide along the back of the grill. WTF is going on?! It's like a cheekan holocaust up in this piece! Who were they expecting... The entire Falcons' team? What scared me was that they were all just sitting there getting dried out with every passing minute. I hope they're not re-introducing them the next day as freshly grilled. But I think we all know the answer to that question... 

Let's grab a quick bite and inspect the goods.

Trios - 1/4 Chicken, Wings and Ribs with Yellow Rice, Beans and Caribbean Corn Souffle. I tell you what, this was a decent deal for the amount of food you get. You get a nice sampling of what's offered here. All the meats were fine, they were not fresh off the grill with juice oozing out with every bite but you really don't expect that either. The beans were ok but the yellow rice and corn souffle were pretty good. They also have a bunch of sauces and salsas to bath all your meats in it... Most were pretty blah (like the curry mustard thing), so stick with the hot sauces.

This place is a nice alternative to the other crappy fast food joints that dot the landscape in this area and y'all know how much bullshit there is around here. It's not the best grub in the world but it's not garbage either. Stop by the Brooklyn Water Bagels across the way and grab some bagels to go afterwards.


1 Star.

2955 Cobb Pkwy #910
Atlanta, GA 30339
770/612-9775
http://www.pollotropical.com

No comments: