Friday, August 31, 2012

Twin Brothers

Sometimes, you just gotta get the fuck out of Dodge of the South. When the hankerin' kicked me in da nuts... I actually listened to my foul-mouthed ass. Some sun, white sand, clear blue water, fresh seafood and Baccarat would do me some good. So, I decided to make a quick get away for a long weekend to the Bahamas since I haven't been back in a few years. Atlantis on Paradise Island is nice and all but the way over-priced restaurants got real tiresome real fast. I had to make a break for it (Attica, Attica!), back over the bridge to the main island and right under the bridge (Potter's Cay) is lined with food shacks one right after another. I. Am. In. Fucking. Heaven. Yo. 


Even though they were featured on TV and shit, the locals swore by Twin Brothers (they have multiple locations, nice full-sized full service ones and tiny outposts like this one which I prefer)... And McKenzie's Fresh Fish & Conch a couple shanties over.

The World Famous Daiquiris... Who woulda thunk it? They were pretty goddamn good, though.

Fresh conch just pulled from the water and from it's shell. Conch Man knew what he was doing, got that shit outta it's shell in less than 30 seconds.

Cleaning said conch with purple sneakers. Dude was like a comic book hero of Conch.

Scorch Conch. Simple dish of fresh sliced conch, onions and "citrus" bath which was basically lime juice. Shit was still moving in your mouth. Fucking AWESOME.

Crab and Rice (seasonal). That rice was cooked perfect with accents of crab and the sea. I was lucky to have had a chance to try this seasonal side dish. Tis was very good.

Cracked Lobster. Might not look like it but this was a very generous portion of spiny lobster. Shit was dericious, crispy light batter and lobster caught a couple hours ago. The plantains were spot on, too. I wet me bed every time I dream about this as if I were frolicking with them in the oceans... It's not sexual, this is not the Bahamian version of American Pie, I swear.

Cracked Conch. Oh my... As if the fresh sliced scorch conch wasn't tasty enough. This fried up version was just as good if not better. I was eating this shit like it was popcorn. Lightly battered which makes a huge difference vs heavily battered seafood... You can actually taste the freshly harvested conch, unlike the many other pre-made frozen fried seafood you find elsewhere.

Since the Bahamian dollar is piggy-backed to the US dollar, the US recession the last few years affected their economy heavily as well, maybe even more. They were many abandoned buildings and shuttered businesses (a lot of local restaurants as well) just right outside the view of the main tourist spots where the cruise ships dock. The locals are struggling to make a buck and I'm all for supporting local businesses, especially, the ones that make my pouch happy. All the food shanties at Potter's Cay were slammed with people (mostly locals, a lot of cabbies) grabbing lunch and hanging out drinking beers... Which was nice to see that people were still enjoying themselves no matter how bad the economy was.

Rock out with your conch out.

Burp.

3 Stars.

Potter’s Cay Dock,
Nassau, Bahamas
242-395-6700
http://www.twinbrothersbahamas.com/

No comments: