Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thai of Sandy Springs

Sandy Springs scares me... It is incorporated. Which means they really don't have a government and every service is basically outsourced to different companies around the country to the lowest bidder to do the job. Does that work for this relatively upscale upstate suburb in Atlanta? I guess it does if you want to keep the riff raffs and Section 8's outta this area. But seriously, who gives a shit about the poor, they don't eat out and infuse hard earned dollars into the local economy... I do. So, this tiny little hole in the wall Thai joint in the rear of this dumpy strip mall better be worth the trip all the way up to Wherethefuckareweville.

This joint is not new by any means. It's actually been here for years, no one really goes here unless they're part of the assimilation... Err, I mean incorporation. I keep forgetting this town is not the Borg. Whatever. Let's just go get some shit to nosh and see how it fares... Hope it's not a collective of boring bland ass flavors. Resistance may be futile up in this piece. Fuck me... Lord help me.

Basil Rolls. Pretty much standard issue drones. A bit chintzy on the shrimp. At least the rice wrapper wasn't hard.

Dried Chili and Cashew Nuts with Chicken. When I saw dried chilis, I had thoughts of Sichuan spiciness dancing in my head...But tis was just a plate of Americanized Chino stir fry with a semi "spiced" brown sauce... And we all know how whities love the infamous "brown sauce". For what it was and what it stood for (not Thai in the very least), it wasn't a bad dish. All the veggies were cooked well and retained their "snap". The chicken was cook properly as well, nice and tender. My only complaint would be the"brown sauce", it was thin, watery and lack any real heat.

Green Curry with Pork.The infamous green curry, my old nemesis... So many garbage versions in this town. Does this one have what it takes? Believe it or not, it was decent. Not that it was spicy or anything but I liked the wonderful consistency of the curry itself, it was silky and smooth. The pork was cooked just as well as the chicken in the previous dish. The veggies as well but my only gripe would be the "eggplant". Why is it so fucking hard to use real Thai eggplants? Ok, ok, this is not real Thai food but they are not that expensive and there's tons of them available at the Buford Hwy Farmers Market. If they used them in this dish, I woulda been really happy... Might have even gotten a blood flood when that fleshy pork hits my lips.

Pad Thai with Tofu. First off, don't rag on me about getting tofu... I's need my veggie intake to balance out the meal (*cough*bullshit*cough*). Second, this pad thai was not bad because the noodles were not all clumped up and stuck together. This little attention to details impacts the edibility of this dish. Imagine eating nappy ass hair all weaved and wadded up together and you trying to separate every strand with a pitch fork or a pair of chopsticks... No fucking thanks. Wait a minzies, Thais don't use fucking chopsticks, why the fuck did they give us chopsticks? Assimilation, motherfuckers! 

I liked the place even though it's not that authentic. Who am I kidding, it was decent American Thai... But the the Borgs seem to lurv this shit. They didn't even have a papaya salad on the menu for crying out loud, they didn't even know what I was talking about... Shit, they must have been assimilated. Come to think of it, appetizer #7 of 9 on the menu was missing... Hmmm, it musta escaped the collective. Right on, bro.  

1.5 Stars.

5975 Roswell Rd.
Suite 233D
Atlanta, GA 30328
404-250-9515
www.thaiofsandysprings.com

No comments: