Monday, August 13, 2012

P'cheen

We all know this place has been a hit with the local crowd since they first opened and they still are. It's a good place to hang out and have a drink or ten. But the menu was something that most people don't talk about, ever... Like that trio of curry thing. Let's face it, it was kinda boring and the execution was inconsistent since Alex really doesn't cook anymore because he had bigger and better projects in the works. I just pretended they didn't serve food and always headed straight for the bar and lush up. So, I decided to take off the skirt and see what's up with their food after all these years since I noticed a change in the menu.

God, please don't let this supper be my last... And protect my bowels from the evils that be.

Sat at a small table in front of the kitchen, no problem except for that fly doing a fuckin backstroke on the plate in the middle of the table... Fucker's legs were going a mile a minute, fast lil basterd. After I tipped off the server about our little Olympian fwend, he took that shit outta there quicker than Phelps looking for the next bong hit.

Good start... Where the fuck is my whiskey shot and drank? Alright, let's get to the goods...

Angus Portobello Burger (meyer ranch grass fed angus-portobello burger, side salad). Cooked to temp, medium rare, nice. It was a decent size booger and tasted pretty good. I know it's just a simple friggin burger but I'm starting to see a change to quality and execution here. Hmmm.. Must be a fluke. A one time lucky break. Let's check out the next dish...

Local Fried Chicken (springer mountain farm, local pepper gravy, garlic mashed potatoes). Ahhh, sheeeit, what could this be? I have been disappointed with the long time local favorite fwied cheekan that have resurfaced recently, can a local hangout do any better than the overpriced shake n bake stuff that made me cry? First off, I hate stupid sauces/gravy on my cheekan that restos do all the time. It's fried chicken, stop making my crispy yardbird soggy like wet newspaper. I flicked off as much of the jizz as possible, near disaster avoided. But how was the chicken? I can not believe I'm gonna say this... But this shit was G U U D. The batter/crust was crispy and uniform, held together nicely, seasoned very well and the meat was tender and juicy inside. Am I fucking dweaming? Someone kick me in my one ball because I think I swallowed the other. How can this be? This place did done a very decent fried chicken and no one talks about it. That's fucked up that I didn't know. Am I the only one in this town that gives a shit about fried chicken? I think I ate this faster than a box of Popeyes... And that says a lot.

The other menu items that seemed like it had promise was the pork shank and mebbe the yucatan surf + turf... But I ain't rushing back to try them, I much rather drink than dine there. Overall, I enjoyed this visit very much even with the fly doing the windmill in the middle of the table. His break dancing skills were solid like with the kitchen staff's execution tonight.

Yeah, I'm as baffled by this as you are but gotta give credit where credit is due... even if it's for just one night.

2 Stars.

701 Highland Ave
Atlanta, GA
404-529-8800
www.pcheen.com

No comments: