Friday, June 9, 2017

Lan Zhou Ramen Revisit

I have been dreaming about this joint ever since my first visit and I can't stop thinking about anything else... It's time to make another visit... In the same week. Walked in... WTF is going on up in this piece? It's chock full of fucking tourists from Buckhead... Flips flops, red shorts, man buns, rompers and hims. Jesus, they must have read the piece from Atlanta Mag right after my post... And I know it ain't my review that's bringing in all the mooks to the yard... Since, I only have one reader. It's funny how they walk in and think they own the joint... Hey, safety in numbers, right? I watched a big group of gwailos and gwailettes push aside a fragile old couple and put them in the corner table like Baby while they just commandeered two tables and put them together for themselves and the servers were totally awestruck and confused at the same time... Even the noodle man looked up to see what the fuck these roundeyes were doing...  Don't ever fuck with the noodle man, his hands are certified weapons... He will lasso you with his noodle like Diana Prince and choke you to death (I like to show her my noodle but she might think it's a White Rabbit Creamy Candy, instead, so embarrassing). And I'm like this shit is gonna go down up in this piece! All I could think of was that goddamn song, Everybody was kung fu fighting! It's amazing how these mooks read an article and then bum rush the joint like they're entitled to appropriate it... Yeah, I said appropriate, it's the new trendy word these days... Oh, just one thing, they don't serve fucking tacos here, brodudes. Ok, these white devils were loud and obnoxious but they were pretty much harmless... It was people watching at it's finest because there were so many foreigners in here, the pale ones are not very common around these here parts. This one table of  three caught my attention right away... Who the fuck orders fried rice at a hand pulled noodle shop? Another asked if the chicken noodle bowl was all white meat chicken, it was unbelievable. I mean they came in here because they read it was 'authentic' Chino grub and then proceed to ask for stuff white people like to eat. Fuck me, I wanted to roundhouse kick everyone in the face but I didn't want to ruin my brand new Onitsuka Tigers. Now, I just want to eat my dericious shit and get the fuck out, STAT.
Let's get the fucking order in and eat some sick ass noodles...

Koushui Chicken. The translation is mouth watering chicken... And it sho' was. The chili oil is not spicy but when you let the chicken soak in it for a bit it gives it a nice little tingle on the finish. Plus, there is a whole jar of heavy duty chili oil on the table to amp it up. I liked this dish, make it spicier and this would be spot on.

Cumin Lamb Hamburger. It's no Xi'an Famous Foods spicy lamb burger but it ain't no slouch, either. It's a tad bit overpriced at $5.50 but finding one of these lamb buns in this town is kinda limited so you're gonna have to pay up for it. I liked it, the bun was puffy and had a bit of a crisp on the outside and it was a nice contrast to the soft steamy flavorful ground lamb filler inside but it coulda been more spicy as well. Go ahead and try it once and then put your money towards something else on the menu... There are a lot of goodies on this menu that needs to be eaten at least once in my measly life.

Beef Tripe Knife Sliced Noodles. I am fucking in love with their knife sliced noodles, I have wet dreams about them at night, I would have sexual relations with that chef's noodle... Wait, that didn't come out right, you sickos. This tripe bowl was pretty good, the broth and noodles were addictive as the last visit. It's not just tripe, they also threw in some offal and tendon... I wished they used the bigger honeycomb tripe, those thin strips of flat tripe were not hearty enough for this savory bowl. I would skip this bowl if you ain't into offal and try another on their extensive menu... Shit, I'm on a mission to try every bowl.

Beef Knife Sliced Dry Fried Noodles. Ok, you ain't gonna find the Cantonese style beef chowfun here because it ain't a Cantonese joint... And they don't even have the regular flat rice noodles anyways. They have a wet style with sauce for this noodle dish but I wanted to try the dry style first to compare it to the Cantonese chowfun. This version was different but that doesn't mean it's bad... It was purdy damn tasty. They added a few more items than the standard chowfun. They had slices of pre-cooked braised beef instead of stir frying raw marinaded pieces of it in the work. The knife sliced noodles worked great in this dish, it's stout enough to handle the high heat and vicious woking effect but they coulda used more seasoning to give it a bit darker color on there. Overall, it's not a bad alternate to the classic Ching Chong chowfun, but I will definitely try the wet saucy version next time. Hong Kong BBQ in the food court has a nice wet style Cantonese chowfun for anyone who likes to swallow their noodle wet... You know, for lube.

Another very good showing on the grub here... But you may be wondering why the pouch didn't order those kick ass Shranghai pan fried buns or the Kaifeng soup dumps again... Believe me, I really wanted to but my plan here is to eat each dish once until I completed the entire menu... So, there will be many many more updates on this pathetic blog for your viewing or regurgitating pleasure... And I will become even more robust after completing this feat. I'm thinking it will take about 2 weeks or so to eat the entire menu, if these gwailos don't over run this joint too much... Then I'll do a round up of the greatest hits up in here. I swear I may have an heart attack before I'm even halfway through this menu. Why am I doing this again? Oh, that's right... For my one reader that's who. Thanks, Pouch... You did it again, you fat fuck, you.


5231 Buford Hwy NE
Doraville, GA 30340

2 comments:

Pinky said...

Youre rucky you not at jakes 58 in islip !!! Cant wait to get back to blow that noodle man.

Pinky said...

Double isp layover....ovah it. Gods waiting room up in here.