Thursday, July 25, 2013

UMI Revisit

I had a good experience here, not a great one... Especially, considering the cost to satisfaction ratio. Everything was fresh and tasty but the little details were a miss... Such as presentation, service and the order that the plates came out. It was a mess but I chalked it up to opening kinks. After a few weeks, it was about time for the pouch to see how they were coming along. I just can't resist the temptation, I'll admit it. Time to go bar hopping... From the cocktail bar to the sushi bar is my game plan. After a few perfectly made rye concoctions by Andy Minchow (go see him here while you still can before he leaves for his new joint), it was time to nosh...

Ankimo. I lurv me some monkfish liver. The first couple versions here were off the mark a little... This time it was prepared and presented differently and it was spot on. So good.

Yellowtail Jalapeno. Hey, it's the classic Nobu dish. It's never bad no matter where you order it.

Black Cod Misoyaki. Still looks the same from the past tries but the flavors now were more pronounced and layered. Still flaky as always.

Ok, summer camp is over, time for the big boys to play... Omakase style. Hand selected by Ito at the sushi bar only... Is there any other way?

Sashimi premium selection. This was super fresh and almost made me soil my underpants with the otoro. I got Ito to throw in a couple amaebi... I lurv sweet shrimp.

I knew Ito couldn't forget the best part of the amaebi... The fried brains!

Sea Bass. Kick his ass, Ito! One word: Damnalicious.

Then comes the nigiri selection...

 My rotary phone pictures doesn't do any of these specimens any justice.

The marinated tuna was nuts. Every piece that came out was ultra fresh and excellent which showcases Ito's knife skills. Girls only want boyfriends with great skills... And this mofo has great skills. I'll be his girlfriend... But I won't do that. Unless he feeds me.

Can never have enough otoro. Fuck you if you say otherwise. Was like buttah.

Seared kobe beef nigiri... Whaa what. Sick. Reminds me of the foie gras nigiri I had in Hong Kong. Like pork fat.

There were a couple more pieces of nigiri but I fat fingered them right to my slutty mouth. Shit never had a chance for a mugshot. So, let's go to the desserts... Not that I care for desserts much.

 Green tea souffle with creme anglaise. Not too shabby but the center was a tad undercooked, needed another couple more minzies in the hotbox. Still pretty tasty.

Red bean beignets with green tea ice cream. Cute and better than I thought.

UMI has redeemed themselves in just over a few weeks. The selection and quality has improved drastically. That's a good thing for the true sushi lover... But don't worry gaijins, they still have more rolls than you can shake a stick at. Flush. The place is still a scene for the trust fund babies and you can still expect to pay out the ass for the premium stuff. Trust me it's worth it. Is it the best sushi joint in town? Tough one to answer but let's say it's in my top 3.


3050 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30305
(404) 841-0040
http://umiatlanta.com/

No comments: