Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Zuma Sushi

So... We meet again. The original location of the Zuma twins. When I first came here years ago, the slices of sashimi were thick as phone books. A couple years later, went to their Toco Hills location... Even thicker. And now back to the this humble location and it was as thick as ever. Where did their sushi cooks train... At a meat packaging plant? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I guess... But I prefer a little more finesse and a little less man-handling of the delicate flesh of the fish... I'm fragile.

No one expects authenticity here... Especially, when their background is not even Japanese. But we can still have fun in this Korean co-ed ran joint. It's not as gaudy as Ru San's and the waitresses are more fun to look at. When you want a quick bite and a little more class than that dusty old Publix sushi... This will fit the bill nicely. I was on my way to P'cheen but I wanted something a little lighter than their menu and boom, sushi it was... Let's see how they're doing these days. No more anime... Thank God. That's a good start...


Softshell Crab Tempura- Keep looking... It's in there somewhere. If you like a lot of crust, you'll be in batter heaven with this dish. It's pretty much a standard obligatory item on any American-sushi menu. But if you put it in front of my snout and I'll eat it. I'm not ashamed about my crabs.


Salmon Skin Roll & Hamachi Roll- The menu was so basic and homogenized it didn't really leave much for adventurous eating. More than Half the menu is rolls after rolls... When in Rome, do what the Koreans do. The salmon skin was probably the most risky proposition here. Both rolls were borderline at best.


Sashimi Combo- Looked passable. Your basic assorted selection of sashimi. The fish was obviously frozen, I didn't expect them to source their fish from Tsukiji market and over-nighted. The thick slices is just too much, it makes the fish seem heavy. I like thinner pieces so you can taste what you're eating and not preoccupied with chewing like a cow.

This sushi is not gonna blow your mind but it may blow the budget for the cheap Charlies out there because it's not AYCE for $9.99. The quality of the fish is above Ru San's but the attention to details and cutting skills of the sushi cooks still needs work. Bigger isn't always better... But it's obvious who they're trying to cater towards.

It is what it is.

1 Star.

701 Highland Avenue Northeast
Atlanta, GA 30312
404-522-2872
http://www.zumasushibar.com/

No comments: