Friday, November 11, 2011

Sushi Itto

It's always an uncomfortable feeling walking in to an empty restaurant during prime dinner hours. Thoughts fill your head as to why... Oh, I don't know, maybe little things such as does the food suck here that bad? But I said fuck it, let's try it anyways since I'm up in this piece already. I made a bee-line for the sushi bar, at least there's someone to talk to about their food... Plus, you usually get a better fish selection at the bar.

It's a clean, no frills kinda joint... Very cookie-cutter for this area but this area was lacking a sushi joint, so it was nice to see one open up here. There's nothing on the menu here that will test your adventurous side. It's like an upscale Ru San's. I was a little startled when I heard the sushi chefs speaking Mandarin. HAHA. WTF. Tell you the truth it really didn't surprise me all that much. I wasn't expecting to find top grade sushi or a master sushi chef here anyways. What surprised me, was that they didn't open a Chinese buffet instead. I'm here just for the ride... Take me somewhere fun.


Sushi Bar Freebie - I almost pissed my pants when he stuck this in front of my snout. It's some concoction of surimi, panko, roe, bonito flakes and a couple other unrecognizable filler... It weird to say the least but after a couple bites, it wasn't too bad. Pissing off the sushi chef right off the bat by refusing to try his "crap on a plate" would only lead to a trip to the head later on.


House Salad with Ginger Dressing - It's your run of the mill Japanese style resto salad but what made it a wee bit different was the ginger dressing. That shit was 99% grated ginger! It was totally wack.


Sushi Sandwich - Look at this thing. It was so silly but I had to get just to see what it was all about. Interesting idea but the filler coulda been more creative. It was pretty dry all around and you had to take a sip of water, tea, miso soup or what have you to wash it down. No booze license yet so I was stuck to those lame options. Thank God, they make this thing called a flask.


Up close and personal... Some thin slices of tuna or salmon coulda put this in positive territory but at the end of the day, it's really just a stupid PR gimmick like indoor bocce ball. If I was a POW, I would prolly eat the shit outta it and ask for seconds.


Tempura (Assorted) - This was not on the menu as an appetizer, so you will have to ask for it. And what a steal it was for $5 after looking at the bill at the end. It's your usual tempura suspects- shrimp, onion, broccoli, sweet tater, zucchini, et al... But it's good filler.


Nigiri with Dragon Roll - I tell ya what, not the best grade of fish but for the price this combo plate was a pretty good deal. The fish were all fresh enough, the sushi rice was a tad too cold but this dragon roll with softshell crab and eel that came with it surprised me a bit in a good way. They usually give you some shitty spicy tuna roll made from the scraps. I hate rolls but anything with softshell crab in it makes me happy.



Awww, how cute... A little orange purse thinger... Just like in fancy Chinese resto-want.

This Chinese owned and operated sooshee joint ain't gonna win any awards but if you want to slum it round eye style, this local neighborhood joint has decent quality fish (although pretty limited) and a price to match which makes this a good value... And maybe it will stick around for a bit. Oh, and the service was friendly and not all up in your face even when the restaurant was as empty as Woodruff Park.

1.5 Stars.

2173 Briarcliff Road
Atlanta, GA 30329
404-633-3400

No comments: