Sunday, November 13, 2011

Buckhead Pizza Co.

When this franchise started popping up in Atlanta, I really had no desire to waste my time nor my waistline for local pizza since we all know Atlanta style pizza pretty much suck. But after a few months, I kept it on my radar because I was running out of places to eat that I have never been to. Since, this franchise was started up by a former owner of Ray's New York Pizza... Maybe it was time to give it a try. Ray's by no means is a New York 'Za but it was a decent slutty drunkard pizza like Fellini's from what I remember about a decade ago.

I was hungover and I wanted to go slummin'. When I looked at their website, I saw this anomaly... "We use a specialty pizza oven that cooks at a perfect 500° so our pizzas come out thin and crispy on the bottom." WTF? 500 degrees? Hello, Easy-Bake just called, they want their oven back... Even my piece of shit Sanford and Son gas oven goes higher than that without even doing a Varasano's special. Now, it was a challenge. I had to see and eat this thing. Since, I was in the hood taking care of some unsavory things, I decided to stop in on an early Sunday night. It was dead as fuck can be. Seemed like they were filming the Walking Dead up in this piece. I went straight to the bar, naturally. Bartendress finally appeared after 7 or so minutes later and I ordered my shit ASAP before it went back into it's cave to hibernate...


(The Perimeter Pie, Italian sausage, caramelized onions, sun dried tomatoes, ricotta cheese)

Had to do a large pie, the test of the pizza maker and the oven. Yes, pizza maker not pizzaiolo. It's like calling the head cook at Applebee's a Chef. Yeah yeah, what about the oven? Well, it looked like a cross between a gas and wood oven. Couldn't be sure by looking at it and their website said nothing about it either except that it's perfect at 500° (baffling). But anyways, I was quite surprised by this pie. Thin, semi crispy, no char, toppings and cheese were acceptable. It's not gonna win any prizes but when you want a decent tasting stuff your face kinda pizza, this did the trick. The large pie is quite large, easily feeds 4 normal sized pouches.

(The Perimeter close up)

I can't believe I'm giving it a passing grade... I might regret it later but it's ok since no one reads this shit anyways. BTW- I wasn't even gonna go there with the Margherita pie, not here. It coulda... Wait, it woulda been a disastrous failure.


(Grilled Chicken Wings, sauteed onions, garlic, lemon juice and EVOO)

One thing's for sure, they were jumbo wings... And another thing's for sure, they were parboiled and then thrown on the grill for those lovely grill marks. As if they weren't water logged enough, they then drown them in a vat of EVOO that even Rachael Rey would find repulsive. They have a perfect oven @ 500°, why not just cook them in it like at Max's Coal Oven...


(Meatball Hoagie, fresh tomato sauce, melted mozarella cheese)

WTF... I know cooks like to fuck around in the kitchen like in "Waiting" but what kinda prank is this? A little shake of dandruff, a sprinkle of fromunda cheese or even lather the bread with ballsack butter will suffice... But I don't need a fucking bucket load of horse jizz dumped on top of my meatball sub. This is absurd. Finding the meatballs in this thing is like finding the keys that you dropped in between the flaps of a fat chick. You are basically screwed with this abyss. Maybe I should just look for the wet spots. BTW- The meatballs were weak.


(Caesar Salad)

Yes, it seems so. That garlic knot bread golf ball thinger looked weird on the edge of the plate. It annoyed me, so I flicked it off.

This is not top notch gourmet pizza, this is not NY style 'Za, this is not Napoletana 'Za, this is Atlanta 'Za. Accept it. But this will surely fill you up and get you fat. This location is borderline depressing.

1 Star.

One Galleria Parkway SE
Atlanta, GA 30339
(770) 405-0722
http://www.buckheadpizzaco.com/Galleria

No comments: