Friday, November 25, 2011

Octopus Bar

I was not in love with So Ba. I was not even in like with it... Unlike the dozens and dozens of roundeyes who claimed to know Vietnamese cuisine and how authentic it was. They loved the pho like it was gospel. They liked it because they had no transportation and it was close to their shanties. To me the pho, bun and co'm was pretty wack. I'm not gonna kick that rotting dead Frankenhorse again. But I will tell you that the owner is a righteous dude (there are things that must be watered down for the demographics, this goes for Miso Izakaya as well). From that hipster beloved monstrosity he has created, he is trying to make things right with this new quiet sea beast... Called the Octopus Bar. I like the concept, reminds me of the hideouts in NYC that only caters to the industry scene after dark. It was a place where the workers could go to relax, drink and nosh on something when everything else has closed. I don't know how well it will do in East Atlanta nowadays since no one really wants to be out in that area late into the early morning like how it was back in the days... But we'll see.

The space is simple. Basically, enclosing what once was the patio space. There's some tables and chairs and the bar in the back. Some scribbles of random drawings and a fat fuck of a buddha on the wall or what not. I don't care about the decor for a place like this... I was there for the food and drinks. So, I tried out some bites to test out the menu first... But I will definitely be back to try the rest of the evolving menu. I can' believe I'm in the same space as So Ba but at least it's on the other side and I can't see or smell any of that pho creastures or else I might involuntarily purge.


Salt + Pepper Shrimp- Ask for extra crispy or else it gets soggy and limp... Bitches don't like that, no sirree. And the most important thing to this dish is that you have to eat the entire thing, head, tail and all... Or else don't order it. It's disrespectful to the shrimp. This was a good lil dish. A little spicy, a little salty but I liked it a lot or mebbe it was all the whiskey I was swilling. Still good no matter how you look at it.


Lobster Roll- I heard about the lobster roll and I knew I had to try it. This was my main reason to make the perilous journey. Initial impression, pretty nice. The top split buttered and toasted bun looked great. The chunks of lobster looked adequate. The taste was surprisingly good. The shredded lettuce on the bottom I could do without. It's no New England/North Eastern lobster roll but from a place like this, it was pretty damn good. I fucking inhaled that bitch within 3 bites.


Brussels Sprouts Salad- Finely shaved with a couple walnuts on the side... Hmm, sounds like my daily routine in the shower. This was not what I expected, it was more like a slaw thinger. It was under seasoned and lacked anything of interest to me. How do the vegan brutes do it? I don't like to shit green. The walnuts were good, though.

First impressions: I liked it. And I will make the trip back here after 10pm again and again to see what other goodies they come up with. You keep the S&P shrimp and lobster roll on the menu and there won't be any complaints from me. Just remember to pack some heat or two. There's potential here.

Developing...

2 Stars.

561 Gresham Ave
Atlanta, GA 30316
404-627-9911

No comments: