Thursday, June 7, 2012

Proof & Provision

I love the Georgian Terrace Hotel in an architectural standpoint... The Livingston is ok but could be so much more and better than the mediocre grub they dish out night after night. I guess they really don't care to improve on things because this is Atlanta after all, routine routine routine... But, what's this? A new Speak-Easy-type-joint in the basement? Yes, I know, "Speak Easies" are so 15 minzies ago and there aren't any real ones out there anymore but I still liked the idea of this place. I've been watching this for awhile... And I really hope this isn't going to be another middling "Speak Cheesy". So goddamn sick of cheese dicks and their wannabe gimmicks pretending to be PDT.

Let's take a looksies...

P? Yes, please, I do need to take a leak... So bloated from all the cough syrup I drank this morning. What? It's the entrance to P&P? Werd to yer mutha... Love the gateway to this dungeon. Watch out for the gimp...


Rye Manhattan. I love anything with Rye... Especially in a Manhattan.

Southern 75. Nice little riff on the classic French 75. Very nice.

"When I was 8" Cocktail. A nice play on Momofuku's Cereal Milk cocktail. It was nice but not $11 nice. I stuck with the rye and rum drankz such as the Firm Handshake and Zombie Neck-Tai (bath salt not included) which were both tasty.

I have tried every drink/cocktail/punch they have to offer and more since my first visit and I'm still excited to go back and try more concoctions they can conjure up... The Firm Handshake is still one of my favs. Hell, any bourbon, rye, whiskey based drink is alright by me.

Cheekan Liver Mousse: Peach jelly and toast. Presented in a mini bathtub tin thinger... Mousse was like butter, spread well across the toast but the toast broke apart too easily, tale tell sign it was toasted way too in advance. Do it to order, toast doesn't take but all of 60 seconds. But a real nice little snack.


Last Season's Pickled Veggies: carrots and golden beets. Carrots were great, the beets looked a little pale. But tasted alright.

Meats: tongue and salumi. Tongue was great, the salumi pretty much standard issue.

Confit Cheekan Wangz: sweet and sour sauce. Seemed like they precut parts of it as if I was a child. The s&s sauce was ok, the white jizz (ranch?) was watery and bland... But the wangz were pretty good overall.
 
 Shaved Prime Rib: gruyere cheese, peppers and onions, dipping jus. It's a cute sandwich but I didn't like how it was basically minced meat. Shaving and mincing ain't the same thing. Thin slices would have made this 100% better but the flavors were there. A deconstructed prime rib? Let's not go there.
 
Griddled Prosciutto Sandwich: farmhouse cheddar, fig jam, arugula. And we have a winner winnah... Doesn't come with a cheekan dinnah, though. Booo. Griddled to a buttery golden brown color. Fig jam went well with the prosciutto but the stringy strands of fat were kinda rough and you coulda flossed while eating at the same time... Functional eating? This was still a good sandwich at the end of the day.

Chef Z's Grilled Cheese with fontina, pecorino spread, truffle butter. Grilled to golden brown but the cheese in the middle was barely melted, sent it back and they tossed it in the oven/toaster for a couple minutes and it turned it nice and gooey. No evidence of the truffle butter... But I guess that's ok for that price point. Still a nice grilled cheese.

I like the place a lot, haven't been this excited about a place in awhile even with all the new and shiny restos that recently opened around town, this place reminds me of NYC... The entrance and the space is groovy, the light bar menu is a good start for more improvements and creativity. I hope they keep working on it because there is no such thing as perfection in this industry but based on what I seen and tasted... These guys are gonna make me proud... They better, for fuck's sake. Werd.

Squirt.

2.5 Stars.

659 Peachtree St. NE 
Atlanta, GA 30309
404.897.1991

No comments: