Friday, June 1, 2012

The Optimist Fish Camp & Oyster Bar

Land locked Atlanta is not known for seafood. Every seafood restaurant in this town is the poster child of mediocrity. Let's admit it, seafood blows in this town... Except for a couple of sushi joints, but that's a whole different level.

This place didn't lack any hype during the pre-opening... People were sucking their cockles even before the menu was even finalized. You can thank the shills for the hype. I'm all for excitement for a fish joint but don't try to sell me how great it is even before the first plate is put in front of a paying customer. Great restaurants don't need hype and PR shills, only mediocre restaurants do that. But I have faith in this fish shack...

So, let's take a first look and first bite...

Fried clam roll, kimchi vinegar and house pickles. The top split H&F bun is cute but it's just way too small to hold any decent amount of filler in it. There were about 3.5 bites of fried clam and the vinegar and pickled peppers were just too overpowering to truly get the fresh from the sea taste of the clams... Which had none. I used to get this ridiculous clam roll on the Jersey shore that was available only 2 months out of the year and it was full of clams with giant bellies and the flavor of the sea exploded in your mouth with every bite. This specimen here was cute but a clam roll it ain't... At least it was lightly buttered and barely toasted. It's a start.


Lobster roll. For $21, we're talking about NYC prices here, so, I'm thinking Ed's Lobster Bar, Mermaid Inn, Luke's, Pearl's... Which are all pretty fucking amazing. So, I was expecting nothing less from a "Fish Camp"... It was visually depressing. The same tiny bun as with the clam roll but what was worse, it wasn't even buttered nor toasted. Not one bit. Why even put half a lemon on the same plate? Because it was half the size of the roll (look at the pic, it's laughable). The filler aka lobster meat was decently dressed (if mebbe a lil too overdressed aka globster roll) but its didn't matter anyways because it had no flavor whatsoever except this vinegar aftertaste that lingered on and on. This hors d'oeuvres was an epic fail (one of the worst lobster roll I have ever had and I've had hundreds) except for the super crispy thinly sliced chips which were excellent. The awesome bartender noticed my disappointment (because he told me it was awesome and well hung) and took it off my check even though I told him not to multiple times. At least the service is not lacking. I seriously hope this was a one time fuck up but I won't be gambling on this again in the future.


Sapelo Island Clams with pork belly/smoked jowl or whatever they feel like putting in there and hand torn sopping croutons. Sapelo is literally on almost every single menu across Atlanta and this version is extremely salty with the combo of the briny clams, salt cured pork and the way over-seasoned broth. If you can finish this bowl of bath salt, you might get the urge to eat someone's face off afterwards. Don't blame me if I put a .45 slug in your head if you come near me. Just sayin'...  

The joint is spacious and the bar area is cute but like any new resto (even from veteran cooks/owners) it needs work to get the execution and flavors right. Anyone who thinks this is a 5 star resto right now is only kidding themselves or a shill. They have the tools, so, let's get 'r done... I'll be back and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised by what you put in front of my snout.


Developing...

914 Howell Mill Rd
Atlanta, GA 30318
(404) 477-6260
http://optimistoysterbar.tumblr.com/

No comments: