Friday, June 22, 2012

Back to Back Revisits: Gu's Bistro & The Lawrence

I'm kinda glad that dick, Peter Chang Cheng Chung or whatever it is these days, has left the state (he's supposedly in some hick town in Virginia)... He was good in the beginning but went downhill fast. All these numbnuts sucking his dry fried eggplant gave him an ego the size of Yao Ming. Tasty China was good but when he opened his namesake joint, the shit hit the fan. The food was garbage and prices went through the roof. Fuck that place even if it was the only semi authentic Sichuan resto. But thank God, Gu's opened a little Sichuan bistro around the same time PC did in a shithole dumpy ass strip mall. It's never crowded and the food is consistently good... I always have to tell them to make it Sichuan ma la fuck me in the ass, kick me in the balls and skull fuck me hot. So with that said, let's get going on a day of gluttony for the pouch...

Chengdu Style Cold Noodles. Cold noodles always remind me of that shitty sesame noodles at hole in the wall Chino joints that uses spaghetti and watered down peanut butter "sauce". But get that image outta your head because these cold noodles are pretty fucking good. It's a little spicy but they are addictive.

Zhong Style Dumplings. These are some of my favorite dumps in Atlanta. Period. The sauce is wonderful, a little spicy and savory and sweet. The dumps have that nice bite to the skin and the pork filling inside was juicy. These little fuckers rocked.

Mapo Tofu. I love this dish but been rather disappointed at nearly every place that I have tried their version. I have resorted to making the damn dericious dish at home most of the time when I have a hankering for it. I like my Mapo ungodly spicy, I add shit in there that would make Nair look like child's play... My shit will remove not only hair but flesh as well. Ok ok but how was Gu's dish? It was good, not great, it wasn't spicy enough, a little too oily and needed a tad bit more of ground pork bits. I liked it but prolly won't ordered it again. Like I said, no one in Atlanta can do this dish correctly... But it's a start.


My stretched marked ass didn't stop there at Gu's... Went back to The Lawrence to see some friends and picked up some bites and libations later that evening...

Crispy Pig Ears & Globe and Patty Pan Squash. Ears were crispy as adverted and addictive like a fat chick to a box of Bonbons. The squash were great, seasoned nicely and cooked/grilled spot on, not mushy, not crunchy, just the perfect bites to go with a few glasses of booze at the bar.

Local Root Vegetables & Deviled Eggs. Liked the Asian-y take on the D-eggs... They soaked them in a kinda sweet poaching liquid (balsamic? I forgot, was focused on my drinks) like the Chino tea eggs. Gave them a nice color, texture and flavor. The root veggies were surprisingly good and fresh, great color on them... I even ate some of them.

I was boozing pretty hard by now and didn't want to order more food because Eric Simpkin wanted to goto Hong Kong Harbor for some Chino grub afterwards... And what did I say? Oh, hells to the fuck yeah. We ordered like 5 dishes at HKH but by then I didn't give a fuck about snapping pics, we slobbered down like pigs in shit. And then after all that mess was over... We went to The Pinewood for even more food (fried bologna sandwich, fwied cheekan hearts and a burger me thinks) and a handful of drinks. And that is why we are so fat.

True story.

No comments: