Sunday, June 24, 2012

Gino's NY Pizza and Bar

The defunct Franco's has been replaced by yet another NY style pizzeria... And we all know how many have tried and how many have failed miserably. Just because you put NY Pizza on your name it doesn't mean it is. Yeah yeah, I know you think Atlanta is full of rednecks that don't know the difference between NY 'Za and Pizza Hut and you could probably pull the wool over most people's eyes. Wait until they get a load of me. Squirt.

So, supposedly they were the owners of the long gone Uncle Vito's up in Norcross. It was some pretty awful stuff as I remembered, it's no wonder why they didn't make it. Then a year or two later they reopened under the name Gino's on Peachtree Parkway where they got mixed reviews. It was pretty surprising to hear that they were opening another location and in town for that matter. I haven't been to the one in Norcross but I was pretty curious about them since they're intown and especially NY style 'Za.

The interior has been minimally renovated since the days of Franco's which is a little nicer. The patio area is pretty sweet but I don't know if overlooking the intersection of Piedmont and Cheshire is that desirable. But who cares about that... The food is what I'm here for.

Some giant arancini balls, a pan pizza and some dried out looking pie I assume used for orders of slices. Lovely. Looks like we're in for a real treat!

 Some dessert stuff. Looks like from a 4th grade bake sale.

This place is not even a week old and these plates look like they were from a 60's diner. It seemed like they put it out for service right out of the box from storage without cleaning them first. They were obviously heavily used throughout the years and filthy as fuck. The black shit on the side of plate rubbed right off on to my hand. Mmm, yummy. How the server didn't even notice this filth is beyond me because the plates were covered with this nasty film as well. Ridiculous.

Jamaican Beef Patty. What the fuck, yo??!! This is a first for me.. A Jamaican patty served in a pizza joint. Well, except for that ghetto ass 'Za dump in Queens years ago that I'm still struggling to suppress. Oh, you know I had to order it for shits and giggles. They conveniently called it a "meat pie" for us dummies who don't know what real Eyetalian cuisine is. Come to think of it, I swear I saw General Tso's cheekan on the menu, too. That is so kickass!

The horror, the horror. This dried out store bought patty seemed like it has been sitting under a heat lamp for days. Maybe it was the leftovers from their house? Don't get me wrong, some store bought patties are actually pretty good... But the inside of this creasture looked like the bottom of a Johnny of the Spot and tasted like it, too. How they could charge $4 is beyond me, let alone charging anything at all for this pathetic display. Just awful.

House Salad. Nothing says passion for cooking than throwing scraps on a plate haphazardly. The take out portion sized balsamic in the plastic tub thinger is real classy, too. Looks like everything is premade, prepackaged and pretarded. I've had more appetizing and better tasting salads from Wendy's.

Cheese Pie. The main event, the test of all tests... The simple NY cheese pizza. The server asked me 3 times if I was sure I didn't want any toppings on it (lame attempt to up sell me). What? And cover up the incredibly fresh top quality ingredients and talent of the pizzaiolo? So, how was it... Was it a true NY pie? Let's just say Fellini's would be considered the Lombardi's of Atlanta compared to this specimen. Shredded cheese from a bag, sauce from a can doctored up with some dried spices and a dough that had no rise. The crust was barely cooked through, doughy at spots, zero char, unseasoned, flat and cracker like consistency. It almost tasted like the premade dough from Trader Joe's... But TJ's version is much better. This was a very poor display of NY style pizza... They would be laughed out of NY for serving this slop to paying customers. Wait a minute... Maybe that's why they're down here. Hmmm.

Veal Parmesan Sandwich. Who made this? A sperm whale? Because something jizzed all over my sandwich. What's under there is anyone's guess. It's like a recurring theme with restos of this level. Hacked up pieces of veal like substance, over loaded with mozzarella and generic sauce. It was as bad as that chicken parmesan sandwich I had recently at Olde Towne Tavern & Grille. The fries were cold and raw inside. If you can't cook pre-blanched frozen fries from a bag, it doesn't give me much confidence in your skills with anything else on the menu. And it shows with everything else I tried.

This place has given up before they even got started. Everything was piss poor... From the service to the food. There is zero attention to detail and the staff don't know if they're are coming or going. And having a valet for a junky pizza place is even more absurd. They must have gotten that idea from Tartufo's. Sometimes, restaurants truly baffles me but I think the staff here is even more baffled than I am. I don't know who is running this joint but this place is as Eyetalian as I am. If they ever wanted to hide Henry Hill via the witness protection program, I got the place for him since he loves egg noodles and ketchup. No self-respecting mafioso would ever look for him here. This is just a reincarnation of Franco's, nothing more, nothing less. This space is now cursed.

Flush.

No Rating.

1740 Cheshire Bridge Rd.
Atlanta, GA 30324
404-874-4466
www.ginosnypizzashop.com

No comments: